News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Massive DB Table

Started by jriani, July 22, 2014, 11:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jriani

Hi all,
I posted back in February about this issue, but got very busy and forgot to reply to the thread so I thought I would start a new one. I have an old 1.1.8 forum I am upgrading for a friend that was managed by other people in the past. The smf_messages table is almost 1.5 GB in size and contains about 1,400,000 posts. The other tables are quite small though. Is this normal?

The VPS provider contacted the owner about high CPU usage and it seems the search function takes forever on SMF. I'm wondering if this large database is the cause. I plan on upgrading to 2.0.8 in the near future so I was wondering what everyone thought about this database size. Any suggestions?

Arantor

Yes, if you have 1.4 million posts, 1KB per message average is about right.

The search function will definitely have trouble on larger forums, depending on how it is configured. For that size, Sphinx is probably recommended (you should probably apply to the Big Boards area in your profile > group membership to get more information on it)

jriani

Quote from: ‽ on July 22, 2014, 11:55:04 AM
Yes, if you have 1.4 million posts, 1KB per message average is about right.

The search function will definitely have trouble on larger forums, depending on how it is configured. For that size, Sphinx is probably recommended (you should probably apply to the Big Boards area in your profile > group membership to get more information on it)

Thanks! I applied and will definitely look into Sphinx.

Advertisement: