News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Forum Crash? (Not too sure what to call it)

Started by tjbalon, July 22, 2014, 01:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjbalon

Not too sure what to call this one but I do have cPanel and Database backups from the 20th. We backup quite often.

I changed a setting on the forum main theme and when the page re-loaded all you could see is the background of the theme and a bit of the header. The main section where posts, settings, everything disappeared and the footer moved to the top right below the header. I'm not sure why, but after switching themes I can re-access my forum.

My goal now is to get the other theme working again, I unchecked the option "Enable post-group" or something like that (Can't think of exact wording) before the crash. Are these settings saved to the theme or to the database? I'm going to try to copy over the entire theme folder here, but other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Justyne

Hi there :)

try this

www.Your_Forum_URL.extension/index.php?action=theme;sa=pick;u=1;theme=1;

this should reset you to the default theme and where you should be able to change the settings. Assuming you didn't edit the default theme.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

tjbalon

Quote from: Justyne on July 22, 2014, 01:55:53 PM
Hi there :)

try this

www.Your_Forum_URL.extension/index.php?action=theme;sa=pick;u=1;theme=1;

this should reset you to the default theme and where you should be able to change the settings. Assuming you didn't edit the default theme.

Going to try that now. Thanks.

tjbalon

Still nothing. All I can see is a search bar, my username, the header and footer.

My banner is missing, and all the content in the middle is gone. I'll post a SS when I can, maybe someone has seen this before.

Illori

a link to your forum may be more useful then a picture.

Illori

do you have a recent backup of your theme? can you try What is repair_settings.php? and reset to the default theme and see if that helps?

Justyne

you edited in the default theme it seems. Best thing you can do:

back up the edits to the theme you made.

Grab a clean set of files, overwrite the default theme folders.

That should restore you to being able to use your site.

Then install the theme you are working on and fix it.

Illori

i dont think the default theme has been modified

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://tangoworldwide.net/Themes/flagrantly202/css/index.css?fin20" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://tangoworldwide.net/Themes/default/scripts/script.js?fin20"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://tangoworldwide.net/Themes/flagrantly202/scripts/theme.js?fin20"></script>

just the user has it set to not allow the default theme to be selected.

seems like an issue with their custom theme files.

tjbalon

I have a full cpanel backup from 2 days ago.

It was working then.

I can try that.

Justyne

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

tjbalon

Quote from: Krash on July 22, 2014, 05:24:41 PM
It's working now.

Barely. A lot of changes we've mad have been reversed completely.

Kindred

Well, that's what happens when you restore a backup...  :P

You should always backup before each edit...  And test before doing the next series of edits..
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

Did you restore your full cPanel backup or just the Themes folder?

If you took another backup before restoring the one you previously had, you might compare the files from both versions and, with some work, restore your changes (including the bad ones :P so be careful)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: