unable to install the Mod

Started by rajmail, July 23, 2014, 04:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rajmail

I am using Mod Custom blocks, 2.3.1 and when I attempt to install it, it throws the error (see attached image)

Please suggest. I recently upgraded and I have just 1 mod - Preety URLs

I use SMF 2.0.8

Chalky

Hi rajmail.  Have a look here: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Error_in_mod_installation.  Basically something else (probably Pretty URLs if that's the only mod you have) has already made edits to the code so that the Package Manager doesn't recognise the code to make the new edits automatically.  You can still install the mod by making the edits manually.  Full instructions and important things are in the link  :)

rajmail

This is even before I install any other Mod and same error after I installed the pretty url. Also, my Forum is clean see - http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=525087.msg3718783#msg3718783

Any more advice?

Chalky

The issue is the same, the Package Manager is not finding the code it needs to edit.  Click on the view icons beside the errors to see what changes the mod needs to make and see if you can idenify those parts of the code yourself.  Looking at the mod's support topic HERE it seems the errors are because of the Core theme that you are trying to install the mod onto.

So, are you actually using the Core theme?  If not and the only errors you have relate to the Core theme, then you are safe to continue and install the mod anyway.  If you are using the Core theme then you need to manually edit your theme files.  If you need help with this you should post on the mod's support topic I linked to above.

Hope this helps :)

kat

Pretty URLs is quite famous for causing all sorts of problems, I'm afraid. For what TINY benefits it MIGHT give you, I don't think it's worth having, myself.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=427913.0

rajmail

Good to see your response Agent K  8)

I just uninstalled Pretty URLs and I see nothing in "Installed Package". But I still see the same errors. 

What next?

kat

Paint the walls blue and call for a vet.

Or... a hunchette... Try emptying your browser's cache and your forum's cache, too (Forum maintenance)(Or is it a scheduled task, now?)(One of the two).

:)

What I find MOST odd, is that it seems to only be affecting the "core" theme. If it's only affecting that, I'd BACKUPPP, then go for the install, myself, if that was on my forum.

rajmail

Emptied browser and Forum cache. Found I am using version 2.0.4 SSI.php. No luck. Didn't try painting my wall as it's gonna take sometime.

When you said re install, did you mean?

* BACKUP
* Delete EVERYTHING from your forum root, except: "attachments", "avatars", "Settings.php", "Settings_bak.php" (and Smileys if you have custom ones)
* Load the large upgrade package for 1.1.19. Don't upload upgrade* files.

Arantor

You should use the 2.0.8 large upgrade package, but other than that, that's the general idea.

kat

Reinstall? I didn't mention that. (Or did I?)

Backup the forum. The database SHOULD be OK. But, just in case, I'd back that, too.

Then, I'd install the mod, ignoring the warnings IF THEY ONLY APPEAR FOR THE "CORE" THEME.

If everything goes OK, you could make the edits to that theme, yourself, if you want the mod to work with that theme.

If everything goes "PHUT!", which is VERY unlikely, you'll have that backup. :)

ETA: Ninjad! :P

Chalky

I just tried installing the Custom Blocks mod on my test site which has NO MODS installed.   The tests still failed on every theme except the default theme.  I don't therefore don't think it's an issue with Pretty URLs or any other mod, simply the custom blocks mod being unfriendly with custom themes, as already acknowledged by its author in the link I gave earlier.

Quote from: ChalkCat on July 23, 2014, 05:55:01 AM
So, are you actually using the Core theme?  If not and the only errors you have relate to the Core theme, then you are safe to continue and install the mod anyway.  If you are using the Core theme then you need to manually edit your theme files.  If you need help with this you should post on the mod's support topic I linked to above.

;)

Arantor

margarett

I might recognize those instructions :P

Regarding Core theme, well, most MODs will actually fail on it... Only Curve (SMF's default theme) is required to be working...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

kat

Women. Gotta luv 'em, aincha?

Now, go get me a beer, would you? ;)

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Chalky

K@ knows I have beer here - he just has to come and get it  :D

kat

...and the beer. :P

She knows I'm only larkin'. (Mostly) :)

Chalky

rajmail

No intention to ruin the fun here, I got rid of Core theme :) and this seems to fix the issue.

Thank you everyone for your ideas and support. You guys (n gals in case if I miss) rock and keeping rolling..

Chalky

Nice one rajmail, glad it's working  :)

Advertisement: