News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

GD module for resizing avatars

Started by Auke, July 23, 2014, 10:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke

SMF 2.0.8

Avatar Settings allows me to resize oversized large avatars but apparently nees a GD module for it. Three questions: 1) what is a GD module, 2) where can I get one and 3) does a GD module only show the avatar smaller (store it large, show it small), or does it actually make it smaller (e.g. resizing a 1000x1000 pixel 1 MB picture to a 100x100 pixel 20MB picture which is also much easier to store)?

Thanks for helping!

Kindred

the GD module is a graphics module installed into your server.
You would talk to your host about it.

the GD module is needed to resize uploaded avatars... that mean resize the actual image file.
inline resizing via html/css is a different setting (but is not recommended)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Auke

Thank you for this clear answer!

I guess I won't get this GD module then, but instead be a bit more pushy to my members about shrinking their avatars to an acceptable size before uploading them.

Kindred

most of the time I think that php has the GD module compiled into the build...   unless you are hosting your own server
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Auke

My site is hosted by CoreISP.

I thought my test-account was not showing the forum logo because its avatar was to large (20 pixels higher than set maximum, the logo is normally visible with the avatar of the admin which is 10 pixels under maximum). However, I just put the admin avatar also in the test account, but the logo is still not visible. Not sure what the cause of this can be. Do I open a different topic to ask for possible solutions?

mashby

Where is the site logo on your site supposed to be? I can see in the source it's supposed to be this:
http://www.guianasnatureforum.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5.0;attach=39;image
But I'm not sure what that should return. Looks like an attachment/avatar rather than your actual logo of your image, but unsure of course.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Auke

Never mind... I guess...

I was looking at my testaccount in IE (neither logo nor favicon visible, despite several times refreshing. I just logged out, logged in with my admin account and both favicon and logo were visible. I logged out again, logged in with my test account and now favicon and logo are there... weird...

Auke

Logo is placed top left, url is in a message on the site itself.

mashby

My site is also hosted with CoreISP and I have an FTP account setup. I've uploaded favicon.ico to my public web root as well as bunch of other things and made it all work. :)

What FTP software are you using? cPanel's File Manager would also do the trick.
- James M. Barrie

Auke

Quote from: mashby on July 23, 2014, 11:39:28 PM
What FTP software are you using? cPanel's File Manager would also do the trick.

Ehhh, dunno... I know I've used cPanel for some things. I'm still very confused about all those technical terms, where to find things and what to do with them. I hope I'll soon find someone who is willing to take care of the technical stuff so that I can concentrate on the content of the site.
I know what cars I like and how to drive 'm, but I really have no idea about how the stuff under the hood works.

mashby

I can respect that to some degree. I would think you know how to put gas in your car though. That to me is FTP/File Manager. This is the logo on this site and it's not an attachment. It's a URL to an image:

http://media.simplemachinesweb.com/smf/smsite2/images/site/smsite_logo.jpg?rc2.1.1
The code to yours isn't quite as clear:
http://www.guianasnatureforum.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5.0;attach=39;image
Do you have the image stored on your computer? Can you create a fold like "siteimages" or "images" and upload that image to that folder using FTP/File Manager and change that URL to your logo from there?
- James M. Barrie

Auke

Hmmm, just noticed that with both accounts in IE I only see the favicon on the index page. In FireFox the tabs show the favicon regardless which page I'm on.

Auke

Quote from: mashby on July 23, 2014, 11:54:15 PM
I can respect that to some degree. I would think you know how to put gas in your car though. That to me is FTP/File Manager. This is the logo on this site and it's not an attachment. It's a URL to an image:

http://media.simplemachinesweb.com/smf/smsite2/images/site/smsite_logo.jpg?rc2.1.1
The code to yours isn't quite as clear:
Do you have the image stored on your computer? Can you create a fold like "siteimages" or "images" and upload that image to that folder using FTP/File Manager and change that URL to your logo from there?

Both favicon and logo are on the Moderatorboard (first category) which I just opened for all groups. I'll close it again when we're done with this session.

Kindred

ah... that's a problem...   You should not use an attachment as avatar or logo... those should be pure files directly accessed from the server
Слaва
Украинi

Auke

Ah.

I had the option to put url's in, so I thought this was easiest.

Can you guys help me small step by small step to get those 2 pics to a better location?

Auke

Quote from: mashby on July 23, 2014, 11:54:15 PM
Where should I create this folder? Somewhere in cPanel?

Edit: changed the title according to the shifted subject

Kindred

yup... you must put a URL in...   but the URL should be a direct access url, not processed though the attachment system -- since you are calling it as the logo and avatar, there is some level of regressive shadowing to use an attachment, processed through the index...:)

basically, create a folder or use an existing folder.. and upload the image files there.   then use the URL directly to those files.
Слaва
Украинi

Auke

Quote from: Kindred on July 24, 2014, 07:07:19 AM
basically, create a folder or use an existing folder.. and upload the image files there.   then use the URL directly to those files.

Okay, make folder, upload files. I can handle that. But where should I make this folder? Somewhere in cPanel (where exactly)? Somewhere else? Thanks in advance!

Arantor

Well, you already have a number of folders in your account where things are, such as (probably) one called public_html where all the website files exist. You could just put the logo in there next to the forum's index.php file in all honesty.

mashby

In cPanel, there's a File Manager option or setting up an FTP account. I use this one:
http://www.coreftp.com/download.html
File Manager might be easier. Whether you create an images folder, put it in the public_html folder, you'll be generating a nice URL to said image after your done uploading it. That's what you should use for your logo URL. You can also upload favicon.ico to the public_html folder to make this:
http://www.guianasnatureforum.org/favicon.ico
- James M. Barrie

Advertisement: