News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

GD module for resizing avatars

Started by Auke, July 23, 2014, 10:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke

Quote from: ‽ on July 24, 2014, 09:40:28 AM
Well, you already have a number of folders in your account where things are, such as (probably) one called public_html where all the website files exist. You could just put the logo in there next to the forum's index.php file in all honesty.

I found this public_html folder in cPanel -> File manager. Within public_html I have now created a new folder 'Logo & favicon' so that I can easily find it back. I've uploaded both the logo and the favicon to this new folder. But now I want to use the URL's of these files and I have no idea where to get those. There's just no URL's in sight except for the one in top of my screen that ends on %2Fpublic_ftp

More help wanted please. :-\

Arantor

You can't put the favicon inside a folder, it has to be in public_html as favicon.ico (only) and spaces in folders is always a bad idea, as is the & symbol.

It really is best to keep it as simple as possible, which is why I suggested just using the public_html folder without making another folder.

Auke

Okay, deleted the new folder, put logo and favicon directly in public_html. But now what? Still no URL to be found.

Arantor

Well, your website maps to the public_html folder.

Since domain.com -> your public_html folder, domain.com/favicon.ico is public_html/favicon.ico... so if you made public_html/logo.jpg, domain.com/logo.jpg would be its URL.

mashby

Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Auke

Auke

With 'some' extra help from ‽ through PM I finally got the logo where and how it should be. I put up the favicon again too, but as I've understood earlier on, it may take some days before it takes effect.

Thanks ‽ !

Auke

Wondering: my favicon is visible in the tabs when I'm working in FireFox, but not visible in the URL bar when I'm working in IE. I only put my favicon in the right place in cPanel about 2 days ago. Will the favicon still show up in IE in some time, or could there be something wrong?

Arantor

Not all browsers put the favicon in the address bar. Usually it's only in tabs they put it - for the current tab.

Auke

My favorites bar in IE is full of favicons. I just added my forum to this bar, but there it also only showed the standard IE favicon. I think my forum is ready to go now, but I'd like to have the favicon in place for easy recognition. I could wait a couple more days, but I'd hate to wait in vain because of some error or whatever.

Arantor

If it's there in Firefox it'll turn up in IE eventually. The browsers are all funny about caching favicons.

Auke

Okay, thanks. I'll wait a couple more days than.

Arantor

This assumes it's a real .ico file and not a file of some other kind pretending to be an .ico file, for which IE is notoriously unforgiving about.

Auke

Well, the extension is .ico (I created it with a link I got here on SMF) so I guess that's alright.

Arantor

Not necessarily. Just because it has .ico on the end does not make it an .ico file.

Auke

Ah, that's a stinker! Than how are people supposed to recognize a real .ico from a fake .ico?

Still, I think I'm safe. I just had a look at my other topics here and the link I used to create my favicon was provided by BurkeKnight: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=525195.msg3719487#msg3719487.

Could you confirm this means I got a real .ico?

Arantor

Not right now unfortunately, takes tools I don't have available right now to check that.

Auke

Well, I guess I have to wait to see what happens first: you finding the necessary tools of IE deciding to show my favicon. I'll notify you if IE is first, so you can stop looking for the tools.

Arantor

Oh, it's not a question of looking for the tools. It's simply that I'm not on Windows right now ;)

Auke

Right, in that case I have to wait to see whether you will be on Windows first or IE starting to show my favicon first. Still, all I can do is wait...

Advertisement: