News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

GD module for resizing avatars

Started by Auke, July 23, 2014, 10:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

also note...   in many cases, the BOOKMARK icon will not change, even if the favicon is updated...
I have a favicon on one of my sites that is recongized in everything except the browser I originally used for the site. In that browser, it still shows the old one from 5 years ago
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Auke

Bookmark? According to Wikipedia a favicon and a bookmark are different words for the same thing? Please enlighten me.

I forgot to say earlier, but in my IE favorites bar (not the favorites dropdown menu) my forum does have the favicon. I put my website there (and not in the dropdown) before I replaced the favicon image from a message in my forum to the cPanel.

Arantor

Yes but the favicon is made part of the bookmark when the bookmark is created since it uses the favicon.

Auke

Okay, so the bookmark is not equal to the favicon but actually favicon plus something more. Well, I just hope that the favicon/bookmark will show up nicely in IE, since that is the whole reason I created the darn thing.

Auke

Still no favicon to be seen in IE.  :-\ I think my forum is ready to open except for this thing.

Auke

Just thought of something: if the favicon was visible in IE when I linked it from a message on the forum itself, how can it be not visible when it is placed in the location within cPanel where it is supposed to be?

Arantor

Shows up for me in IE.

I would not worry about this.

Auke

I had a look at a third computer, and there it was visible too. Strange that it doesn't show on my laptop and the first other computer I looked on. Time to open the forum then. I'm just waiting for the French translation of the invitation now. Thanks again ‽ !

Arantor

Caching is a wonderful thing to deal with. It's an old joke in computing that there are two things that are hard: naming things, cache invalidation and off-by-one errors - and it's that way for a reason.

Auke

Two hard things, but you name three? Anyway, neither of them means anything to me. For me, the hard thing with computing is to make sense of all the technical terms you guys are constantly uttering.

Arantor

Ah but that's half the joke.

OK - naming things is hard. Finding the right name for anything is hard.
Cache invalidation - caching is when you do some work to avoid doing it later, but it might be out of date. In this case, IE is taking record of favicon.ico and religiously not giving it up, because it's caching it, and telling IE to drop that cache is hard work, even if the cache is out of date, because it's hard to invalidate it and tell IE it's out of date. Same problem occurs everywhere.

As for an off-by-one error... I'd say a list that is declared to have two items but really contains three is off-by-one somewhere ;)

Programmer humour is special.

Trust me, you will pick it up in time, the only real difference between you and me is that I've been doing this stuff for too many years. If you have a question, please do ask.

butchs

English humor is dry...  Us Yanks know humor when we see it...

Here is the SMF staff working on GutHub...

:)

I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Auke

I like visual humor, but I prefer English humour. Best thing about English humour is that the ones making jokes don't laugh themselves but keep a perfectly straight face.

Anyway, when I don't get jokes made on SMF it is probably because I'm at a total loss as to what the hell people are actually saying with all those technical terms. My knowlwdge of English is quite decent, my knowledge of geekspeek almost absent.

Arantor

Considering I was told the above joke by an American on another forum...? ;) I shouldn't go there if I were you, though, because it's a place where trolls are abound and more importantly (and probably amusingly for butchs) there are people who can and do put me in my place :P

Actually most of the real joking that goes around here isn't so much about the geeky stuff if you look, but there's a lot of it because those of us that have been around here have typically been around here a while, so there's all kinds of jokes based on shared history that most people wouldn't really know.

butchs

Quote from: ‽ on July 29, 2014, 04:19:21 AM
Considering I was told the above joke by an American on another forum...? ;) I shouldn't go there if I were you, though, because it's a place where trolls are abound and more importantly (and probably amusingly for butchs) there are people who can and do put me in my place

Been there done that in my adolescent days.  The trolls can be fun to play with but if left on their own device they always loose control.  I prefer to take a mild swipe at my troll every now and then, just to keep you honest.

I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Arantor

If you honestly think I do what I do here to troll people, you have no idea how wrong your understanding of me is.

I go other places to troll and be trolled. I try not to do that here.

butchs

Kindred

Nah, I have seen Arantor...   Looks nothing like him.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

butchs

Oh well...  I wonder which Flame Warrior persona he has at the other site?  If I was into that, I would call dibs on the Big Cat...

I love that site... :)

Arantor

I will say it again, then. I do not intentionally troll people in this community. I try to help where I can. I am human, I make mistakes, I get frustrated when I feel I am not being listened to which is a phenomenon that seems to be happening more and more lately.

If you perceive that as trolling, I would respectfully suggest you have a strangely skewed view of the world.

Advertisement: