Quick Edit not editing?

Started by samborabora, July 24, 2014, 03:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

margarett

One step at a time.

Now please keep the "clean" file and backup your whole "scripts" folder. Rename it and put a clean folder in place. Try again (don't forget to refresh with CTRL+F5 so that JS is reloaded)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

live627

'fraid that didn't work
Did you try a hard refresh?

samborabora

Quote from: live627 on July 22, 2015, 09:04:25 PM
'fraid that didn't work
Did you try a hard refresh?

Yeah, I tried that with my custom theme and it still doesn't work (after hard refresh) and it still works, just as it did before the edit, with the default theme.

Quote from: margarett on July 22, 2015, 06:17:35 PM
One step at a time.

Now please keep the "clean" file and backup your whole "scripts" folder. Rename it and put a clean folder in place. Try again (don't forget to refresh with CTRL+F5 so that JS is reloaded)

Which scripts folder? My custom theme or the default themes scripts folder?

margarett

Ehehehe good point :P If it's just your theme that doesn't work, try with your theme only first

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

samborabora

Quote from: margarett on July 23, 2015, 07:30:55 AM
Ehehehe good point :P If it's just your theme that doesn't work, try with your theme only first

;) I took out my scripts folder and quick edit still fails, but it only has a theme.js file in it, it would surely be something to do with my custom theme folder rather than the default theme scripts folder, since the default theme works perfectly? What other files in my theme folder might be contributing to the quick edit ajax failing?

margarett

As with every other theme-related stuff, when the custom theme doesn't have a certain file, default theme's will be used. So put your folder back in place and replace the default theme's "scripts" folder with a clean copy then try again

samborabora

Quote from: margarett on July 23, 2015, 09:09:46 AM
As with every other theme-related stuff, when the custom theme doesn't have a certain file, default theme's will be used. So put your folder back in place and replace the default theme's "scripts" folder with a clean copy then try again

So, if:

/Themes/mytheme relies on /Themes/default/scripts since there isn't really anything except for a theme.js file in /Themes/mytheme/scripts the thing is, /Themes/default works perfectly with quick edit, and it is relying on /Themes/default/scripts  so how is the problem caused by /Themes/default/script ? I would have thought it was entirely the fault of something in /Themes/mytheme since that's the only place where it is broken. And since /Themes/default/scripts is clean and unedited, I'm not sure what to repalce it with!  :D

margarett

/Themes/default/scripts --> is it unedited for sure? Are you sure that no MODs touched it?

If so then... Meh, no idea :(

samborabora

Quote from: margarett on July 23, 2015, 11:12:54 AM
/Themes/default/scripts --> is it unedited for sure? Are you sure that no MODs touched it?

If so then... Meh, no idea :(

Well, I just uploaded the scripts folder fresh from the smf zip, replacing my current theme scripts folder, and it still doesn't work. Something is breaking the ajax in my theme, that ISN'T breaking it in the default theme, or core for that matter, which I also have on for testing. Could it be something in index.template? Other than Display.template and Index.Tempalte, what else would the display page use that could differ from default themes?  Here's my index template from my current theme:

margarett

Well, your index.template.php does have a lot of custom JavaScript... I can't tell you if that can cause these issues or not as I'm a total JS ignorant.
Nevertheless, if it were me, I would start by replacing that file with a "clean" one and try again. Trial and error, really ::)

samborabora

Quote from: margarett on July 23, 2015, 02:33:52 PM
Well, your index.template.php does have a lot of custom JavaScript... I can't tell you if that can cause these issues or not as I'm a total JS ignorant.
Nevertheless, if it were me, I would start by replacing that file with a "clean" one and try again. Trial and error, really ::)

I tried replacing both index.template and display.template with the smf install.zip defaults, and it still doesn't work. Where else could it be loading stuff in that's causing an issue?

margarett

No idea :(
At this point I'm out of ideas :(

Illori

do a diff on all the theme files and see if there are many major changes and see if you can minimize them?

samborabora

Quote from: Illori on July 23, 2015, 04:31:16 PM
do a diff on all the theme files and see if there are many major changes and see if you can minimize them?

Okay, there are loads of changes between all of my files, if I knew which files Display relies on (including possible hook integration files) it would be easier to find, since I'm pretty certain changes on pages like Search.template and PersonalMessage.template, for instance, wouldn't make any difference. Display.template and Index.template, what other pages could influence the topic display's ajax  functions?

Advertisement: