Guest View Only Boards on index

Started by M4R1O, July 25, 2014, 02:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M4R1O

Is is possible for guests to view only boards on index, but that they can't go inside and see the titles/subjects...

I hope you understand, a picture is worth a thousand words  ;D

Acans

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2309

Please read the modifications description as it warns to install and configure while the boards in maintenance mode.
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

M4R1O

nope, The package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF.

mine is 2.0.8,

Arantor

M4R1O

c'mon, this can't be so hard for you php wizards  :D

Arantor

Here's a hint: I'm the guy that WROTE the mod being linked. Trust me when I say it's not a mod I would recommend to you.

I would also point out that invariably it has the inverse effect to the desired one. It doesn't encourage people to register nearly as much as people believe.

M4R1O

anyway... this mode does not work for me

btw, forum is private, I want to protect my users, but still want to show that there is something if you want to join, I am on few private forums and they are much better than public ones...  everyone hate lurkers... simply, you can't see if you don't want to actively participate

Arantor

That's fine, frankly, because if you don't know how to use the well documented emulation function, actually configuring the mod is a whole new challenge.

M4R1O

yes, we use the software, do not make it like you  :D , that's why I hope that we will one day have SMF plugin system

however, congrats on your skills, I believe that you don't have these problems  8)

Arantor

Correct, I don't have these problems precisely because I *don't* try to have boards that are visible but not enterable.

M4R1O

well, I can see your Ferrari, but I don't have to drive it  :P

Kindred

first of all: try reading the manual/FAQ?
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_can_I_install_a_mod_that_doesn%27t_work_in_my_SMF_version

second of all: As Arantor points out --   showing people something that they can't actually see, as a teaser, most often has the reverse effect that you are looking for.  If I went to a site using the sort of behavior that mod allows, I would quickly head off to another site and never return -- and this is the same reaction that many people have.   There is very little on the internet that is truly unique -- and someone can always find the same information from your site on some other site that doesn't tease.

by default, SMF does not show a user anything that they can't full action. If they can't enter a board, we do not show the board in the  boardindex. If they can't do some action, that action is not listed in the menu.
Plain and simple -- if they can see it, users expect to be able to complete the action.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Thanks Kindred, i was really hoping that wasn't going to be linked because now it'll get installed and misconfigured since everyone does.

M4R1O

don't worry, I wont install it, if you (who wrote it) don't think that is important to make it compatible with 2.0.8 than I think that there is no point in trying to make it work... I can only make a mess  :D

I'll leave it for now, but the members of the club (forum) are not really satisfied with it ... Why everyone can see what we're talking about here, if they are not members bla bla bla

thx anyway

Arantor

Making it compatible with 2.0.8 would increase my workload because then everyone would try to use it and then get *thoroughly* confused with how to configure it.

M4R1O

Make it simple to install, put the price $10 than you will earn something and everyone happy, you won't increase your workload for free

Arantor

No-one would buy it.

Of course, I'm mildly surprised no-one has suggested View Only Boards yet but if you don't want to use emulation, that's no help to you either.

M4R1O

failed in test load.php
tried before opening topic here, google everything too...

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

M4R1O

Well I did it  :D

it works now on 2.0.8 with emulation, but I did not create new permissions profile, just edited an existing profile...

So if any1 want to try this is how to do it: emulate to 2.0.4 , install mod, revert to 2.0.8, and set permissions so you can see and enter boards...

thx

Advertisement: