News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Location of IP Ban Records

Started by Racketydoo, July 25, 2014, 07:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Racketydoo

Hi, I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction here?

I recently had to do a clean install of 2.0.8 to restore my forum to a workable state. I am trying to locate the files in FTP where the list of IP bans are located so that I can transfer them into the current files, but so far have been unsuccessful. Would anyone tell me what file I am looking for please? I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks. :)

Arantor

If you banned from inside SMF, it's not in a file you can reach in FTP, but in the database.

Kindred

And why would you ever have done a fresh installation?

Every item in the manual and FAQ, as well as all instruction in these support boards tell you how to reset your forum to a base installation without losing your data... And it specifically is NOT by using a fresh install....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ninja ZX-10RR

Your IP bans should have been done through .htaccess as well. Not through the SMF built-in system, otherwise the server can have loading issues. :(
As regards your question of course the list of IPs should be (or have been) in there...
Remember, banning wide ranges of IPs is not really recommended.
Check this guide about IP bans if you need more informations: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=524146.0 ;)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Racketydoo

Thank you all for your responses and help.

I had checked for the ban data within the Ban Logs and couldn't see it (it is entirely possible that I had a nuclear-cloud-esque brain fart and just missed it), so assumed that it had been lost in the process of my tinkering. The responses here that I wouldn't find it in the FTP led me to re-check the ban logs and hey presto, as if by magic (ahem  :-[ ) the data is still there.

Hi Kindred:
My site also experienced problems on the 17th, and my host service advised I uninstalled and re-installed, then restored the database.

However, I instead followed this guide: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files  The guide calls it a clean SMF installation, so I just echoed the terminology (not that I have any real understanding of the terminology per se). I uploaded the 2.0.8 large upgrade exactly as detailed in the guide and it resolved the problems for me.

Thank you all again. I appreciate the help, even if it was in locating my own brain fart.  ;)

Kindred

ah... that is a clean load... not a clean installation. :)  INstallation implies that the install archive was used (and that would remove all of your data)

with the fresh load of files, there is no need to restore any database because the original database was not touched :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: