Banned Avatar Mod

Started by Yes-U-Can, July 25, 2014, 11:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yes-U-Can

Hello there,  i  am not sure if this modification   http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3116   will work with version 2.08 ,,,Can someone guide me if it will work for this version or maybe modify/change an edit or 2 to make it work.. I did a manual install as they are fairly easy to install but i saw this mod uses or requested i do 2 edits on similar filenames  ./Themes/default/languages/Help.english-utf8.php .......This file i did not find.. If there is a thread that can help please guide  me. Thanks again for your support
Bullying people is not right, STOP YOUR BULLYING GROW UP AND BE AN ADULT!!!

Yes-U-Can

Thanks i did see that link  ,helped me understand what it all means on that page,, i think its just best to try and get the current needed code.. Have a quick question if you will, Mods found on the Mod page and does not specify for that version it means it's not up to date correct? Thanks

br360

That mod should work fine for 2.0.8 without having to emulate. If you are seeing this message when trying to install "./Themes/default/languages/Help.english-utf8.php   Skipping file", it just means that that file isn't necessary in order for the mod to work, and it should be ok.

There are plenty of mods here that haven't been updated since 2.0, 2.02, etc, and that will usually work on newer versions. I'm using 2.0.8, and the majority of the mods I use are from earlier versions of 2.0.

Yes-U-Can

Quote from: br360 on July 25, 2014, 01:38:10 PM
That mod should work fine for 2.0.8 without having to emulate. If you are seeing this message when trying to install "./Themes/default/languages/Help.english-utf8.php   Skipping file", it just means that that file isn't necessary in order for the mod to work, and it should be ok.

There are plenty of mods here that haven't been updated since 2.0, 2.02, etc, and that will usually work on newer versions. I'm using 2.0.8, and the majority of the mods I use are from earlier versions of 2.0.

Thanks for that,, i manually make edits,, Can you please show me the actual edits i should make as i get really confused with the drop down on that mod page  and the parse button..Thanks

Yes-U-Can

For the same 2.08 version..

br360

Can I ask why you make manual edits on a package that installs cleanly and easily in just a couple of steps? One of the best parts of SMF is how easy it is to install mods compared to other software. Take advantage of that. ;)

In regards to showing you the actual edits; if I was to post the edits here, it would look exactly like the parse drop down on the mod page anyway.

Yes-U-Can

Quote from: br360 on July 25, 2014, 06:50:19 PM
Can I ask why you make manual edits on a package that installs cleanly and easily in just a couple of steps? One of the best parts of SMF is how easy it is to install mods compared to other software. Take advantage of that.<$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />

In regards to showing you the actual edits; if I was to post the edits here, it would look exactly like the parse drop down on the mod page anyway.

Thanks for reply,, yes i do manual because i have a bit more confident for now and i check and browse the coding at the same time as i am trying to know smf, but i believe i am most afraid to use such robot to install such items..

Question-1  Does it affect other mods already installed (the coding)?  I also did add all files easily through ftp but no dice on that mod,,,,, i do-not understand what you meant when you said it will look exactly like the mod page,,I am a bit confuse, 

Question-2   Do i just download that zip as sometimes there is about 3 different zips and then that drop down parse, thats what is confusing me..

[size=78%]Question-3   [/size]Can you show me the edits of how i get the 2.08 edits on that drop down ,to many options when i go see the mods, confusing, confusing

I do-not know the exact steps or i would try what you wrote :  "[/size][size=78%]Can I ask why you make manual edits on a package that installs cleanly and easily in just a couple of steps?[/size][/size][size=78%] "[/size]
[/size][size=78%]                                            Thanks for replying[/size]

Kindred

1- you should never install a mod manually if you CAN install it through the package manager.
Doing it manually means that your system will not have any record of the mod being installed and any changes or updates for the future may conflict with the manual edits -- were you could just one click install/uninstall.

2- did you actually read the FAQ article on using version emulate?   It would seem that you did not, since you are asking questions answered in that article.

3- any mod designed for 2.0.x will probably work with any other 2.0.x with some exceptions (mostly anything that used preg_repalce code before 2.0.7) and the mod will tell you when it fails to automatically install and what parts failed the test even before doing the actual installation.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Yes-U-Can

Quote from: Kindred on July 25, 2014, 09:00:23 PM
1- you should never install a mod manually if you CAN install it through the package manager.
Doing it manually means that your system will not have any record of the mod being installed and any changes or updates for the future may conflict with the manual edits -- were you could just one click install/uninstall.

2- did you actually read the FAQ article on using version emulate?   It would seem that you did not, since you are asking questions answered in that article.

3- any mod designed for 2.0.x will probably work with any other 2.0.x with some exceptions (mostly anything that used preg_repalce code before 2.0.7) and the mod will tell you when it fails to automatically install and what parts failed the test even before doing the actual installation.

I did read it, the thing is emulate doesn't sound to nice as it is not actual "it's emulate or emulation" Though i have been told a few times the same thing that you said that mostly all 2.0 and above will probably work but i like to check codes and i try manually first and i did try so far 2 mods and thus far it did show some temp laced were replaced  and thus some files failed and thus installation fail, and so once again i check and no-wonder it fails the coding is not possible as it is easy to tell when it will work..Sad  :( [size=78%]the 2 mods i have tried were 2.0 and above and failed installation, that's why i am here and ask for help that's all, as i may be doing something wrong as i am new to smf but when you compare codes some of the codes need to be updated simple as that no buts about that, i guess i might just ask for installation help because i have only done 1 mod installation manually with success [/size] :laugh: [/size][size=78%].[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]like here in this simple mod  [/size][/size][size=78%]http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=406 it failed me,  if you manually [/size][/size]check the 3 files only 2 files are editable as the other code is not up to date,, see this code that is there in shot which is the current code and then the code that will replace it , no way jose ,, it needs to be updated don't matter how you look at it..[size=78%]

[/size]
[/size]./Sources/ManagePermissions.php

Find:
[/size]         'attachment' => array(
            'view_attachments' => false,
            'post_attachment' => false,
         )
[/font][/size]
Replace With:
[/size]         'attachment' => array(
            'view_attachments' => false,
            'view_attachments2' => false,
            'post_attachment' => false,
         )

Yes-U-Can

The main reason i do manual installs is that not only have i read just about half of good and half bad on that installer but , better to do a manual install will be my presence evrytime, then i'll test and backup files evrytime,, As it would be normal for that installer to crash when them codes won't mesh just my opinion.. Just don't kill me for my opinion i'm just seeking help that's all..

kat

What with all the [/size] tags, in your last post, I can't tell if this is solved, or what's going on...

Are you sorted?

Kindred

quite honestly, that is a silly reason to do manual updates - when the package manager will handle 99% of the installs AND will track what you have installed.
By doing what you are doing, there is no record of what you have installed and what conflicts you might trigger
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

Might be a bugger, too, when it comes to uninstalling them. Interesting to think how you'd handle things that modify the database, too...

Advertisement: