News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Avatar Disappears with User Change to Forum Profile

Started by peterinwa, July 25, 2014, 12:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterinwa

I have permissions set up so that users have no permissions for avatars. They must have me set up their avatar.

This works well, until they make any change via their Forum Profile screen, such as an edit to their signature. Since their Forum Profile screen gives them no avatar permissions, their avatar disappears!

I suspect this bug was an oversight in coding, easily understandable as most forums would give their users avatar permissions.

I am using 2.08.
Here's my forum:  www.MySchnauzer.net/forums

Burke ♞ Knight

I think it is functioning as it is meant to.
When set to not allow avatars, it sets the profile to No Avatar being selected.
Forcing an avatar onto a member, instead of just setting to no avatar in my honest opinion, is plain rude.

However, the way it is set, it is doing as it should, and keeping no avatar selected. This is why when they save, it goes as no avatar.

The only way around this, I would imagine, would be to remove all avatr selection from the profile, but that would make it hard for you to force one on them.

peterinwa

I don't force avatars on my users! I make very nice, uniform looking avatars from the images they send me. And having one is optional.
Here's my forum:  www.MySchnauzer.net/forums

Burke ♞ Knight

Either way, the profile page is set to not allow, and as long as that is the only selection they can make, then SMF is doing as it should, and saving that selection when they hit the save button.

This is not a bug, in my opinion, but just an option that never had been thought of or developed.

Chalky

Quote from: BurkeKnight on July 25, 2014, 12:48:28 PM
This is not a bug, in my opinion, but just an option that never had been thought of or developed.

Is that not kinda the definition of a bug, BK?  Just sayin'  :P

Burke ♞ Knight

In one sense, but when an issue is one that never got used or brought up in the 10 years or so of SMF, then it seems more of a feature request than a bug issue.

I have to admit, having where could select Admin or Site issued avatar, would work for him.
That way, when they edit their profile, it would be selected, instead of No avatar, which would keep his setting.

Advertisement: