News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Attachments and Avatars issue when using a symbolic link

Started by Blackcondor, July 25, 2014, 03:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackcondor

I have an issue when making Attachments and Avatars folder a symbolic link.

I have no issue when they are in the standard install folder in /var/www/html/forum/Attachments.
I set permissions to 777 and have same issue.
I'm trying to move for disk space reasons to mount /smf/Attachments

I know I have permissions and path correct, do I need to change an Apache or php setting?

This is Redhat 6.5 with Apache.

Thanks
Erv

Kindred

What, specifically have you done to create the directories as "symbolic links"?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Blackcondor

I created a file system and mounted to /smf/forum

i put permissions to chmod -R 777  /smf to ensure all had full permissions for the test including sub folders.

i went into /var/www/html/forum where SMF is installed and used 'mv Attachments Attachments_bak'

cd /var/www/html/forum

I then did 'ln -s /smf/forum/Attachments Attachments

Arantor

Better question why bother with a symlink when you can just tell SMF to use /smf/Attachments? The only issue I could see there might be open_basedir but even then symlinks shouldn't be magically immune to it.

Also, the default forum folder is lower case a, not upper case A.

Blackcondor

I got it worked out and thanks for comments.

The name had caps in my post here but not on the server as I was posting path by memory.

This issue was Apache config needed an adjustment to follow symbolic links and works great now.

Thanks,
Erv

Arantor

Wait, what?

Why do you need to tell Apache to follow symlinks when the attachments folder is deliberately set up never to be accessed through Apache? The avatars folder, sure, when you're using a custom avatar folder (but that's still not the attachments folder)

Advertisement: