Looking for expansion of default smiley set

Started by Auke, July 25, 2014, 03:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke

Hi all,

I would like to have some more smilies for my forum. When looking at the 51 smilie-mods I see only one (BBPh Smileys) that I like, a whole bunch I don't like and another bunch which have no more pictures available to give me an indication what the smilies look like. I've downloaded and installed the BBPh Smileys mod, but it doesn't do anything. The creator of this mod hasn't been active for over a year.
Could someone advise me either how to get BBPh Smileys working or else which mod has a reasonable set of simple, yellow smilies similar to the default set of SMF? I don't like the looks of the default  ???, :-X, :-*, :'( and O:), so I want to change these at least.

Chalky

Have a read of this to troubleshoot your smiley problems and find how to add new smileys to your existing smiley set  http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Smileys_and_Message_Icons  :)

You can download any smiley set and extract the zip on your computer to just add any individual smileys you like using the instructions found in the link above.  There are also lots of sources on the internet for smileys where you can save them to your computer before adding those to your smiley set too.

If you need to add a lot of smileys all in one go you can use FTP to copy them to your smiley set folder directly, then in SMF go to modify your smiley set and the option to import all the new smileys will be waiting for you  :)

Auke

Thanks! Let me see if I can get things working with these tips.

Chalky

Kindred

Although this sort of does cross into the realm of actual support, since it is dealing with how to add smilies, let me just note that, even if a mod author has abandoned the mod and has not been around for a while, that does not make it correct to post in smf support for help with themes or mods...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Auke

Got it Kindred.

After reading part of the wiki I've decided that it will probably be best to created a new smiley set with smilies I like and abandon the use of an existing mod. I suppose asking for help regarding this idea is allowed here? If so, am I correct to assume I should go to cPanel, File Manager? Which root (Home directory, Web Root, Public FTP Root or Document Root for ...) should I select there to make this smilie-set directory (= folder?) in the right place?

Chalky

It's much easier if you use an FTP client, such as Filezilla, for this sort of thing.  It's faster, more convenient and easier to rectify mistakes.  Your forum files should be in the Public HTML folder (or similar name) and the smiley sets are in the Smileys folder within that.

Kindred

side note... yes - that sort of thing is clearly a support-type request. :)

I just wanted to have a note about the mod support, not derail the actual support. :D
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Auke

Quote from: ChalkCat on July 25, 2014, 06:46:13 PM
It's much easier if you use an FTP client, such as Filezilla, for this sort of thing.  It's faster, more convenient and easier to rectify mistakes.

Almost everytime I want to do something, someone here says "You should really use ......, that makes it much easier!". Such remarks mean invariably that I have to master yet another program while I'm still struggling with my mostly default SMF forum. :-\

Auke

I have made a folder My_smilies in the public_html. After that I have uploaded 16 smilies from my computer which I had downloaded from some site earlier on. In the admin area I also pushed the button to make My_smilies the default set on the forum. Of the 16 uploaded smilies only 15 actually appear as smilies in the forum. The one which is missing sits in the My_smilies folder, but in the forum its place is taken by the lettercode of another one which is NOT present in the My_smilies folder...

The 16th one I did upload is nowhere to be seen in the forum, even though he sits in de folder My-smilies... I suppose this may have something to do with overlapping names of smilies from different sets or something? I understand that it is not possible to actually remove the original default smilie set (Alieninie's Set). Now what if I would go to public_html, cut the only file in the default set which seems to be not a smilie, index.php, and pasted this in the folder My_smilies, then erased the default smilie set from the Smileys folder and renamed 'My_smilies' into 'default'? Would that turn my own set of smilies in the default set?

Kindred

well, first of all - you should be creating the smilies sub-directories under the smilies directory, not under the public_html root.

second, you can remove any set of smilies that you want, from the admin  -- you can also set whatever set you want to be the default and/or allow or disallow choice of sets
Слaва
Украинi

Auke

I created the My_smilies sub-directory in the 'Smileys' directory which is placed under public_html. Isn't that correct? I think that's what ChalkCat said and it's also where the sub-directories of the standard sets are.

I just removed the 2 smilie sets which came also standard with my forum, but the standard default set (Alienine's Set) seems to be unremovable, even though it's not anymore the default version.

I'm still missing smilie 16 which is replaced in the forum by the lettercode of a smilie that is not even present in the sub-directory.

Kindred

yes, that is the proper locaiton

ok....   check the configuration of that one in your admin tools
Слaва
Украинi

Auke

Found it, corrected it! Off to bed now, I'll try to add some more tomorrow. :)

Kindred

good for you...

However....     sleep is for the weak!
Слaва
Украинi

Auke

Quote from: Kindred on July 26, 2014, 01:23:27 AM
However....     sleep is for the weak!

Well, I guess I'll then just have to send an e-mail to the authors of the last several publications who claim that an important factor in the decrease of productivity is sleep deprivation.

And if you excuse me now, I have to do some weight lifting excercises with my toothbrush...

Arantor

I can do with less sleep but I find I get even more depressive than usual with less sleep.

Chalky

I can't get used to this whole international time zone thing - it's after 3pm here!  ;D

Nice one Auke!  I should warn you that's how I started - I now have 650 smileys on my forum  :P

Arantor

You have sufficient smileys on your forum that my computer has to rev its fans up because Chrome can't properly handle it :P

Chalky

LOL  ;D  and the members still keep asking for more  ::)

Advertisement: