ACPS - Ajax Continuous Post Scrolling (Facebook Styles) (Partially Hook!)

Started by Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail, July 26, 2014, 09:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

No, it's not, it's Discourse. Discourse requires a minimum of a VPS.

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Indeed this could cause heavier load on server especially if you simply wanna scroll and need data to be loaded each time once it reach bottom (or top in the case of going back to earlier post).

Similarly, IMO, if you simply wanna go to the other pages and clicking the page number, data still need to be loaded each time the page is opened.

IMO ajax supposedly decrease page load if it is doing less processing if compared to full page load. Time can be delayed and loading gif can be used. Or may be already loaded data can be cached too?

I am no coder but with my limitation, I suppose the suggestion for ajax continuous post scrolling to both directions is still workable.

Arantor

The load requirement on SMF for 'a slice of a topic' is not significantly different for 'a slice of the topic with menu cruft attached' which is all the difference really is here.

What you will have to consider as a real problem, though, is what happens in a long thread when you start to have hundreds of posts on offer at once, with the dozens of DOM elements per post. Other solutions for infinite scrolling unload some of these from the browser to avoid them consuming insane amounts of resources, others don't - and of those (in which category this mod is), they will eventually crash the browser if a suitably long thread is loaded.

Most of the mechanics of infinite scroll for usability are geared around 'the latest content' where you're using infiniteness to go backwards in time (cf. Facebook, Twitter) so that loading the next slice is something you're simply less and less inclined to do in practice. The full impact on usability is so badly understood it's not even funny.

I would strongly suggest you spend time observing Discourse installations to see how infinite scrolling really doesn't work for threads of any real length.

Actually, this time, I don't get you at all. In the OP I have already mentioned the caveat discussed regarding this. The best, for the time being, is to limit number of posts per topic to 500.

Plus I dont agree that on facebook it is only used to go to the latest content only. It is for both older and newer posts. I am a frequent user of it, I definitely knows how it works.

The only thing is, it is similar to pagination in SMF for older posts where you have to press the link to load more older posts, and you need to do this several times, until it comes to the first post.

If I want it to, instead of scrolling it back to earlier post, I may also decide to simply change the pagination similar to that, to trick user to go back to the past via what actually is the original SMF pagination but in different looks.

But definitely, loading is loading. And you didn't honestly response why ajax supposedly decrease page load if it is doing less processing if compared to full page load in this case.

Kimmie

With this mod installed the ajax modifier in each post no longer works. I assume it is from this mod because since installing it, these have not worked.

Have you had anyone else mention this problem?

So far that I have tested in in fresh plain vanilla SMF, it works harmoniously. I will test that again just to make sure.

By the way, can you share how did you install the mod so we can see where it goes wrong?

You were right, Kimmie. This mod do cause failure in ajax inline modify. I am not so sure why function initQuickModify () is not working as it should be. I'll further test and see how can this can be resolved.

If this cannot be resolved, notice will be given to this mod user as inline modify will be simply disabled while using this mod.

Updated.

#Version 1.0.1
- Disable ajax inline / quick modify for scrolling posts added by ajax. It does not work anyway.
- Give user option to disable default ajax inline / quick modify so that it will look cleaner.

Kimmie

Quote from: ahrasis on August 19, 2014, 03:03:54 AM
Updated.

#Version 1.0.1
- Disable ajax inline / quick modify for scrolling posts added by ajax. It does not work anyway.
- Give user option to disable default ajax inline / quick modify so that it will look cleaner.

Thanks.  Please try and get this working though. All my moderators use this modifier.

It wasn't going to be an easy fix since I know other ajax mods also suffers the same consequence. I will try though, if I am not so busy.

You can still use default Ajax Quick / Inline Modify by disabling this mod in Mod Settings page or not disabling default Ajax Quick / Inline Modify. The later allows you to use default Ajax Quick / Inline Modify but for posts under its own page.

I might also look into ways on how to permit your moderator to disable this mod if allowed by admin. (This option is more easier to me).

Again, thank you again for seeing this problem and highlighted it.

Kimmie

Sounds good. Thanks for your hard work. Much appreciated. :)

Updated!

#Change Logs

@Version 1.0.2
- Converted to partialy using hook for SMF 2.0.x.

lahmfan

Hey
I love this mod! its working great on our forum .. I have one question for you, i am using the "like post" mod on my forum http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3708 and the "like button" doesnt show when i scroll down, it will show, however, if i click on the page. would you know what could be the problem?

Advertisement: