News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Post and PM Inline Attachments

Started by dougiefresh, July 26, 2014, 09:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChILd_ReBoRn

dougiefresh

I strongly suspect that your forum backup had a previous version of the mod already installed.  The operations that have failed during installation are ones that REPLACE portions of your files, whereas the operations that succeed have operations that insert stuff either BEFORE or AFTER portions of code.

The only way to "fix" this is to uninstall the previous version OR restore the code manually back to the original code (if possible), then install the latest version....

ChILd_ReBoRn

no it didn't. I made the backup PRIOR to the mod installment. I'm not sure what the original code is :/

ChILd_ReBoRn

made it!

the updated version works like a charm..

I just had to upload back up of those red PHP files...

dougiefresh

I'm happy to hear that!  Thanks!

Jamie87100

Hi,

This looks like a great mod and i really need to be able insert in-line images but i am getting the attached errors when trying to install this mod.

Is there a way to get this working?
I am using SMF 2.0.9

Is it a case of making all the edits manually?

Cheers,
Jamie

ChILd_ReBoRn

Delete the problematic files, and rename the ones with a tilda (~). They will replace the peoblematic ones. It worked like a charm for me

Jamie87100

Thank you for your reply, I just tried that but still getting the same error when i go to install it

Jamie87100

I have it installed now (i tried the install again and no errors came up, strange?) but i have the same issue others have too where clicking Insert Attachment doesn't do anything.

I have the following mods installed.

Pretty URLs
FancyBox 4 SMF
ENotify
SCEditor4Smf

Cheers
Jamie

EDIT:

It is working now but i have had to remove SCEditor and change the post type back to the standard editor rather than the WYSIWYG editor for it to work.

dougiefresh

@Jamie87100: I think you've got the wrong thread.  My mod doesn't have a French translation, nor does the pic show any modifications to PersonalMessage.template.php, which my mod has....

Looking at the failed ops in the pic you posted, the files in question are template files.  The operations alter the files which alter the topic display and message posting templates to add the new functionality....  I would think you SHOULD be okay installing the mod, ignoring the errors of the templates....  However, without looking at the mod in question (once again, you aren't installing my mod), I am making an educated guess here....

Quote from: ChILd_ReBoRn on March 14, 2015, 09:36:47 AM
Delete the problematic files, and rename the ones with a tilda (~). They will replace the peoblematic ones. It worked like a charm for me
@ChILd_ReBoRn: I would say that your advise is not only incorrect, but potentially forum-breaking.  The files with a tilde are backups made before a mod that modifies that particular file.  By restoring an older version of the file to your forum without understanding what changed, you risk breaking your forum.....  The fact that it worked for you is almost PURE luck and I cannot advise using this method.

ChILd_ReBoRn

Luck, or not...it worked,and I needed the files before the mod. After restoring the sql prior to installement of your mod, I couldn't install it again. the attachment field under the reply window was there, but nothing worked, the attachment wasn't posted. After restoring the files marked red in above mentioned method..the installation of your mode gave no errors, and it works as it should.

Jamie87100

Quote from: dougiefresh on March 14, 2015, 07:30:39 PM
@Jamie87100: I think you've got the wrong thread.  My mod doesn't have a French translation, nor does the pic show any modifications to PersonalMessage.template.php, which my mod has....

Looking at the failed ops in the pic you posted, the files in question are template files.  The operations alter the files which alter the topic display and message posting templates to add the new functionality....  I would think you SHOULD be okay installing the mod, ignoring the errors of the templates....  However, without looking at the mod in question (once again, you aren't installing my mod), I am making an educated guess here....

Please forgive me, it would appear i have been getting confused between 2 mods however i do have an issue with this one if you can help.
It has installed without any errors and i can see the inert attachment link when posting however clicking it does nothing when i have SCEditor installed.

Is there something i can do to fix this?

On a side note, it does work without SCEditor installed but only in text mode, it never works with the WYSIWYG mode.

Regards,
Jamie

dougiefresh

Well, my mod doesn't work with SMF's WYSIWYG mode.  It's unlikely that I'll figure out a way to adapt it....  unless I do  :P

As for compatibility with SCEditor, I haven't looked into compatibility with that mod yet.

Jamie87100

No worries, if you did manage to getting working with SCEditor that would be awesome as I find that editor a lot nicer.

Great work on this mod.

dougiefresh

Let me see what I can do.  No promises, though....

Jamie87100

paq

Very cool mod dougiefresh! :)
works like a charm on 2.0
On 2.1 beta it kinda works. Let me elaborate.
I got it to operate 'manually'. So after uploading the attachment, manually punch in the attachment tag and then it works.
There are no tick boxes or choices whilst uploading the attachment.
Also on the position of the removed thumbnail remains a image question mark.

Is there any fix for the editor in 2.1?  (and the questionamrk  8) )

dougiefresh

@paq: I can fix major parts of the mod to work with SMF 2.1 Beta 1.  However, the file selection part of the new editor also handles multiple files within the same file box.  This makes it REALLY difficult to allow include the "Insert Attachment" text here without knowing which one you are trying to attach to the post.  The only solution that occurs to me is to allow inserting attachments into the post on ones that have already been saved.  This seems like such a lousy way to deal with this situation....  Any thoughts on this?

dougiefresh

@paq: I can fix major parts of the mod to work with SMF 2.1 Beta 1.  However, the file selection part of the new editor also handles multiple files within the same file box.  This makes it REALLY difficult to allow include the "Insert Attachment" text here without knowing which one you are trying to attach to the post.  In addition, the "add more attachments" link is missing from the post creation/modification template, so that code would obviously have to be dropped in order for this to work...

The only solution that occurs to me is to only allow inserting attachments using the "Insert Attachment" link on ones that have already been saved.  Obviously, adding the inline attachment manually would still work, cause there is nothing stopping you from doing so....  This just seems like such a lousy way to deal with this situation...

EDIT: The OTHER difficulty is that the PM attachments mod hasn't been updated for SMF 2.1 Beta 1 (to my knowledge).  Version 1.6 does NOT work with SMF 2.1 Beta 1 as of this writing....  None of these modifications are required for a mod that won't even install without significant errors during installation....

margarett

I would suggest you wait a bit before messing with 2.1 and attachments, there might be some news on the way ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: