News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Site hacked

Started by goldensunrise, July 26, 2014, 10:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldensunrise

Hi, My site was hacked. My host did a backup AFTER the site was hacked and after I created the ticket asking for a restore, and I don't have a valid backup now of my own. The database is there in full, but my directory is screwed up. Is there a way for me to fix the directory and have it still use the database for member info etc? I am not super experienced at coding so is there a SMF tech support that can rebuild my directory for a fee? Or tell me how to re-install and have it still read the existing database? I stupidly attempted that and failed miserably. Currently I am waiting for the host to do an investigation and restore but I really think the restore is going to be missing the index.php due to the backup generating after the hack. It was the index.php that was overwritten. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
SMF 2.0.7 with Simple Portal

Sir Osis of Liver

The database credentials are in Settings.php in your forum root.  You should delete everything in the forum directory, save a copy of Settings.php, it may still be good.  Upload a clean set of files from the 2.0.7 Large Upgrade package.  If Settings.php looks ok, upload that also, forum should connect to database.  If it doesn't, find database info in your host cpanel and edit the settings accordingly.  You will have to reinstall the portal and any other mods or customizations you had.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Illori

goldensunrise

Thanks for the responses. Malware was uploaded through a chat that I had recently installed. They replaced my website with another index.php that said I had been hacked by Algerian Webs. The host had a backup for me from the 21st and from what I understand all will be fine after that restore is done. So I am lucky.
Needless to say I will no longer be trying to use that chat and will use the shoutbox supplied in simple portal.
Thank you very much for your information!
Michelle

kat

Get your own backups, too, 'chelle. Belt'n'braces and all that.

Click my sig for the "WTF?", on that. :)

goldensunrise

kat

Advertisement: