2.0.7 to 2.0.8 and Mod-Uninstall Problems

Started by skylite, July 27, 2014, 05:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skylite

Hey there!

I'm currently trying to update my forum from 2.0.7 to 2.0.8, but everytime i get this error:

"Auch wenn das Paket auf den Server heruntergeladen wurde scheint es leer zu sein. Bitte überprüfen sie dass der Packages Ordner und das "temp" Unterverzeichnis beschreibbar sind. Sollten sie dieses Problem weiterhin haben sollten sie versuchen das Paket auf ihrem eigenen rechner zu entpacken und in ein neues Unterverzeichnis in das Package Verzeichnis hochladen. Wenn das Paket zum Beispiel shout.tar.gt [nofollow] heißt sollten sie:
1) Das Paket auf ihren PC herunterladen und entpacken.
2) Mit einem FTP Programm ein neues Verzeichnis im "Packages" Ordner erstellen und dieses, in unserem Beispiel, "shout" nennen.
3) Laden sie alle entpackten Dateien in dieses Verzeichnis.
4) Gehen sie zurück zum Paket Manager und prüfen sie ob das Paket automatisch gefunden wurde (dies sollte der Fall sein)."

translation:
"even though the package has been downloaded on the server, it seems to be empty. please check that the packages folder and the subdirectory "temp" are describable. If you still have this problem, you should try to extract the package on your own computer and upload it to a new subdirectory in the package directory. if the package is named for example "shout.tar.gt" you should:
1) download the package on your pc and extract it
2) create a new folder in the packages directory via an FTP programm and name it, in our example, "shout".
3) upload the extracted files in this directory
4) go back to the package manager and check if the packages was found automatically (this should be the case)."

(the same error appears also when i tried to upload a new theme)

so.. well, i'm really a noob when it comes to FTP and file and coding things. The instruction above is clear to me, so i understand what it want me to do, but after i googled for this mistake, i read from a few peeps who also had this mistake, followed the instruction and still have this problem.
I then read that an installed modification could cause this problem, so i began to uninstall mod for mod which leads me to the next problem -

the "Add Social Media Icons To Profile" Mod (1.1.0)
when i click uninstall, there comes the list with the modificated files and next to it "test succesful" - but next to "Modifications.english.php" it says "test failed"
so i googled again and read here somewhere that if that's the case you have to edit the file manually? i opend the modifications.english.php file, that's it:

<?php
// Version: 2.0; Modifications

$txt['smi_buddies_title'] = 'Social Networks';
$txt['smi_facebook_title'] = 'Facebook';
$txt['smi_facebook_desc'] = 'Input your Facebook username.';
$txt['smi_myspace_title'] = 'MySpace';
$txt['smi_myspace_desc'] = 'Input your MySpace username.';
$txt['smi_twitter_title'] = 'Twitter';
$txt['smi_twitter_desc'] = 'Input your Twitter username.';
$txt['smi_youtube_title'] = 'Youtube';
$txt['smi_youtube_desc'] = 'Input your Youtube username.';
$txt['smi_deviantart_title'] = 'DeviantArt';
$txt['smi_deviantart_desc'] = 'Input your DeviantArt username.';
$txt['smi_pinterest_title'] = 'Pinterest';
$txt['smi_pinterest_desc'] = 'Input your Pinterest username.';
$txt['smi_googleplus_title'] = 'Google+';
$txt['smi_googleplus_desc'] = 'Input your Google+ User ID.';
$txt['smi_linkedin_title'] = 'LinkedIn';
$txt['smi_linkedin_desc'] = 'Copy & Paste your LinkedIn profile link.';
$txt['custom_edit_placement_withsmiicons'] = 'With Social Media Icons';
$txt['custom_profile_placement_withsmiicons'] = 'With Social Media Icons';
$txt['custom_smi_enclose'] = '<strong>Social Media Icons (Do NOT Skip!):</strong>';
$txt['custom_smi_enclose_desc'] = 'For <u>custom Social Media Icons</u>, this must be completed. Click the <strong>Help</strong> icon for detailed instructions';
$txt['custom_smiicon_image'] = 'Add a custom Social Media Icon Image';
$txt['custom_smiicon_image_desc'] = 'ONLY for Custom Social Media Icons. Images should be 16 X 16 in size.<br />Upload images to <strong>Themes/{theme name}/images</strong> folder';
$txt['customsmi_images_url'] = '{theme URL}/images/';

$txt['smi_buddies_title'] = 'Social Networks';
$txt['smi_facebook_title'] = 'Facebook';
$txt['smi_facebook_desc'] = 'Input your Facebook username.';
$txt['smi_myspace_title'] = 'MySpace';
$txt['smi_myspace_desc'] = 'Input your MySpace username.';
$txt['smi_twitter_title'] = 'Twitter';
$txt['smi_twitter_desc'] = 'Input your Twitter username.';
$txt['smi_youtube_title'] = 'Youtube';
$txt['smi_youtube_desc'] = 'Input your Youtube username.';
$txt['smi_deviantart_title'] = 'DeviantArt';
$txt['smi_deviantart_desc'] = 'Input your DeviantArt username.';
$txt['smi_pinterest_title'] = 'Pinterest';
$txt['smi_pinterest_desc'] = 'Input your Pinterest username.';
$txt['smi_googleplus_title'] = 'Google+';
$txt['smi_googleplus_desc'] = 'Input your Google+ User ID.';
$txt['smi_linkedin_title'] = 'LinkedIn';
$txt['smi_linkedin_desc'] = 'Copy & Paste your LinkedIn profile link.';
$txt['custom_edit_placement_withsmiicons'] = 'With Social Media Icons';
$txt['custom_profile_placement_withsmiicons'] = 'With Social Media Icons';
$txt['custom_smi_enclose'] = '<strong>Social Media Icons (Do NOT Skip!):</strong>';
$txt['custom_smi_enclose_desc'] = 'For <u>custom Social Media Icons</u>, this must be completed. Click the <strong>Help</strong> icon for detailed instructions';
$txt['custom_smiicon_image'] = 'Add a custom Social Media Icon Image';
$txt['custom_smiicon_image_desc'] = 'ONLY for Custom Social Media Icons. Images should be 16 X 16 in size.<br />Upload images to <strong>Themes/{theme name}/images</strong> folder';
$txt['customsmi_images_url'] = '{theme URL}/images/';

//-View Only Boards MOD- Start
$txt['vob_allowMessageIndexView'] = 'Show the message index for "view only" boards';
$txt['vob_protected'] = 'Protected';
//-View Only Boards MOD- End

?>

so i tried to delete the whole code until the //View Only Boards mod begins, saved, tried to uninstall the mod in the admin panel again, but still same - modfications.english.php - test failed.
i now inserted the code again and saved and gave up and ask here for help before i crash the forum completely  ::)

much appreciated if someone could help me with the update and the uninstall of the mod!
best regards,
nina

Chalky

Hi Skylite!

You really shouldn't need to uninstall or edit any mods to upgrade from 2.0.7 to 2.0.8, which makes me wonder which upgrade package you were trying to install.  You've put your code back to how it was before you tried to upgrade now, yes?

Go to your Package Manager > Browse Packages.  At the top you should see a message telling you there have been bug fixes and with a link to install the patch - do you see that?  Click the link and then press "install" on the screen that follows.  Hopefully now you'll see all tests successful for the install of the upgrade patch?

skylite

Hi Chalky,
yes, i put the code back and saved it again.

regarding the update:
that's what i've done all the time - i clicked the link in the bug-fixing message but i got always the error i first mentioned above which i translated. :(

Chalky

Ok... have you checked that your Packages folder includes a subfolder called "temp" and that both folder and subfolder are writeable?  They obviously have been at some point but hosts sometimes go changing permissions so it's worth checking again.

Then try downloading the update patch from here http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/downloads/smf_patch_2.0.8.zip and installing it from your computer.

skylite

i just had a look into the web FTP... seems that there is no "temp" folder in the packages folder  ???
the packages folder should be writeable.
do i have to create a new folder and call it temp now?

Chalky

Yes do, and give the temp folder 777 permissions too for now (though it's possible your host won't like 777 and we might need to try something else).  Then try the install again and see what happens.

skylite

just done and ticked all checkboxes to "write".
nothing changed :( same error as mentioned in the first post :(

Chalky

Right then, the last of the simple things that occurs to me.  Try changing the permissions of Packages and temp to 755 or 775, in case your host doesn't like 777....

Illori

also try creating a folder in the packages folder named backup and make it writable as well.

skylite

no :( still same error...
it's going to get complicated now, doesn't it :(

@illori the backup folder in the packages folder already exists and is writeable.

Chalky

I'm afraid it's about to get too complicated for me anyway - I'm running out of ideas  :(  I think now you need to speak to your host and make sure you have CHOWN ownership of your files, because if you don't it doesn't matter what you change your permissions to, you're not actually changing anything....

skylite

i think i got it now..

i tried this:
"You can also download the patch for 2.0.8 from the customize site by downloading the : smf_patch_2.0.8.zip patch file and then installing it from the package manager like any other mod package." which is mentioned in the 2.0.8. release posting and i think it works now.
Even says 2.0.8 in the footer now.

Only thing is that the update now appears in my mod list.

Chalky

Yes that's what's supposed to happen - update patches do show in your mod list!    We got there!!  Ok to mark as solved?  :D

skylite

Ok, then it's fine and done :)

just wanted to finally install the new theme now, but there i got it again - the same error x_o
think i'll have to install themes now manually via FTP or something like this...
but that's got nothing to do with the current topic here, so yeah, could be marked as solved :)

thank you for your help :)

Arantor

You're not supposed to install themes through the package manager... Admin > Configuration > Themes and Layout has a place to upload new themes.

Chalky

skylite

oh my
of course.... should have known that! think my brain needs a break

thank you  ;)

Chalky

:D

Marking this as solved now then.  Good luck with setting up your theme.  If you come into any more problems you know where we are  :)

Advertisement: