News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Broken after converter was installed

Started by CrashTester, July 27, 2014, 07:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashTester

Hello. I am new to SMF and I had setup a forum and thought I would try to convert an existing PHPBB forum database to the new forum.

I installed the correct converter files from PHPBB to SMF and visited my URL/convert.php but I didnt know what my existing database path was, the one I tried failed.

Since that time my SMF installation is emailing me to say there is a connection error to my database and now when I go to the URL I get the following message;

QuoteConnection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

my url is www holidayhomeowner dot com

I would just like to get the SMF forum working again, I can look at migrating the database another time. Anyhelp appreciated.

margarett

Make sure that the DB username and password in Settings.php are correct.

The converter should not have damaged that, but...
For an easier way to edit that, try this tool
What is repair_settings.php?

Don't forget to remove the file as soon as you finished using it!
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

CrashTester

Thanks, the database password was changed. Why would the database password have been changed like that?

margarett

No idea, but it shouldn't really happen. There's nothing on the converter that messes with the DB settings...
You either used repair_settings or the password was changed server-side (this rendering SMF's stored password useless)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: