News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Is there a limit to the time online threshold?

Started by Jade Elizabeth, July 28, 2014, 09:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Elizabeth

I set my time online threshold to 1440 (24 hours) just for ******s and giggles. Was going to leave it for a few days because I am trying to see who's coming on/why etc.

Anyway, it's not working. Is there a limit or something?
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Arantor

Yes, you're really not supposed to do that since now anyone who's been online will now continue to appear to be online for 24 hours even though they've long since closed their browser tab.

Reduce it back to 15-30 minutes.

Justyne

Admin > Members

sort by last online?

Surely, that is the easier way of seeing who was on?
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: ‽ on July 28, 2014, 09:58:33 AM
Yes, you're really not supposed to do that since now anyone who's been online will now continue to appear to be online for 24 hours even though they've long since closed their browser tab.

Ha ha yeah, I wanted to see it though.

Quote from: Justyne on July 28, 2014, 10:00:52 AM
Admin > Members

sort by last online?

Surely, that is the easier way of seeing who was on?

Yes, but I wanted to see what they were up to. If they came back cause they had a reply or a PM, etc. Doing some research :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Arantor

Just because you wanted to see it does not implicitly make it a good idea. Breaking the entire online tracking system for stats that don't tell you anything useful (since only the 'current' activity is recorded) is not clever.

If you really wanted to know what people were doing you'd probably need to start looking at Google Analytics, or a custom analytics to track the general trends per user over time. Tracking is not simple.

Jade Elizabeth

Well even when it was 15 it will sometimes show 1 or 2 more people as being online but there are not. Also if it breaks the system why doesn't it have a max value or tell me there is a max?

I just wanted an idea that's all.

Arantor

That's because of how the entire concept of what 'online' even means for something that implicitly has no concept of sessions and the entire system has to be grafted on.

As in: HTTP is designed to be stateless. Each request separate to the last, and theoretically independent. As a result, onlineness is really orthagonal to this. So what happens is that when you do something, you get marked as online, and you're still marked online for 15 minutes even if you haven't done anything for 14 1/2 minutes.

Illori

Chalky

Jade Elizabeth

Advertisement: