News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

uninstall shoutbox - test failed -> fatal error

Started by skylite, July 28, 2014, 11:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skylite

well, hey... it's me again  ::)
i hope it's the right section for this.

so after the shoutbox i installed a while ago isn't really used, i decided to uninstall it again.
When i clicked "uninstall" in the Package Manager, i got the "test failed" error in the first line, at the "index.php"
When i clicked the paper symbol on the left of the 1. replacement line, it says:

Code: (search)

require_once($sourcedir . '/Security.php');
require_once($sourcedir . '/Subs-Shoutbox.php');

Code: (replace)

require_once($sourcedir . '/Security.php');

so i logged into my web FTP, opened the index.php, searched for the lines, found them and deleted the "require_once($sourcedir . '/Subs-Shoutbox.php');" part.
saved, pressed F5 - fatal error.
opened the index.php file again, replaced the deleted part and saved again so that the forum works again and now asking you for advice.

do i have to uninstall the mod first, ignoring the "test failed" error and then delete the "require_once($sourcedir . '/Subs-Shoutbox.php');" part out of the index.php file?
in the search i only found how to deal with it when you INSTALL something, but not uninstall something.

any help much appreaciated again
best regards,
Nina

kat

Might help, if we knew what the fatal error was. ;)

Generally, I do as you say, in that I BACKUP, then uninstall and do the edit that's needed.

I'm curious as to why people use "Require", as opposed to "include",

The former seems to cause fatal errors, if they fail, whereas the latter doesn't.

margarett

Yes, you should first uninstall and then fix the errors ;)

edit: Ninja'd :P
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

That's the only difference between require and include... one is for things you need and cannot proceed without, the other is for things you want but can fail gracefully without (except only mods that use hooks can generally get this right)

In this case, removing a mod and ignoring the error is fine because you've carried out that step manually.

skylite

Quote from: K@ on July 28, 2014, 01:01:48 PM
Might help, if we knew what the fatal error was. ;)
oh sorry.. i didn't read on  :-[ after i pressed F5 and saw only the words "fatal error" i panicked and immediately switched back to the FTP and the index.php file

as for the require/include thing - i don't know anything about it... i'm a noob at coding and never code something if it isn't really necessary.. i'm fine with doing css changes but that's it at all  ::)

got it now, thanks for all your help :)
uninstalled the mod first ignoring the error and then replaced/deleted the coding thingy in the index.php
will mark as solved, thanks again  :D

kat

Pleasure, matey!

Thanks for the confirmation, 'arry! :)

Advertisement: