If username differs from display name, have link title change to username

Started by samborabora, July 29, 2014, 05:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

also, I have yet to see an ACTUAL valid reason to bypass the functionality of the system other than "this is what I want regardless of how many people tell me that it is a bad idea"

Basically... the answer is no. This, like several other things, is something that I don't think anyone here will assist you with.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

samborabora

Quote from: BurkeKnight on July 29, 2014, 04:18:54 PM
Quote from: samborabora on July 29, 2014, 01:57:13 PM
It's more of an easy way for everyone to know who everyone was.

"Hey, who's d***e?"
"No idea, they've got loads of posts"
"Hmm, anyone know?"
vs
"Hey, who's d***e?"
"Just rollover and see for yourself"
"Ahh, nice new name, member!"

1. A username can be just as made up as a display name, so there really is no difference. The member will still be a "Hmm, anyone know?"

2. "Ahh, nice new name, member!" What the heck? You really think that showing the username is really going to tell who the person really is? Re-read my #1 above.

3. There is NO reason to do this, as stated above in so many posts. For those people that do use a diferent username verswus display name, they do it for SECURITY reasons. Meaning, people can all see the DISPLAY name, but not the USERNAME. That way, HACKERS can't use what they see, to try to HACK the member's account.

I thought display names were for aesthetic purposes rather than security.

Why isn't it default protocol that you can set your display name for security reasons on the registration page?

Quote from: Kindred on July 29, 2014, 04:33:14 PM
also, I have yet to see an ACTUAL valid reason to bypass the functionality of the system other than "this is what I want regardless of how many people tell me that it is a bad idea"

Basically... the answer is no. This, like several other things, is something that I don't think anyone here will assist you with.

I'm not sure I am bypassing the functionality of the system? I'm pretty sure I'm just extending the presentation of information provided by the system that is already in place, none of this insecurely or without consent from forum users.

Valid reason? I put a hypothetical conversation two posts ago that I felt was a valid example of this function I am requesting.

Arantor

Sure you're bypassing the system. The system is about keeping thm separate.

I have an even better reason, now that I think about it.

You're comparing user name to display name, but that's no help for someone like me that has had several display names, which is the part you're really trying to fix.

In your world, you'd be showing my username and my display name, but neither of those are the ones people know me as, be that IncognitoMuse, The Grinch. Sir Cumberpunch or Arantor.

What you're trying to solve is really display name history which is a separate matter altogether, and ultimately needs a different solution than the one you're obsessed with, but that's normal.

Kindred

you posted a hypothetical conversation which was an EXAMPLE of what you want... but not a valid REASON.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

samborabora

Quote from: ‽ on July 30, 2014, 05:19:35 AM
Sure you're bypassing the system. The system is about keeping thm separate.

I have an even better reason, now that I think about it.

You're comparing user name to display name, but that's no help for someone like me that has had several display names, which is the part you're really trying to fix.

In your world, you'd be showing my username and my display name, but neither of those are the ones people know me as, be that IncognitoMuse, The Grinch. Sir Cumberpunch or Arantor.

What you're trying to solve is really display name history which is a separate matter altogether, and ultimately needs a different solution than the one you're obsessed with, but that's normal.

Not obsessed, just arguing my case. I don't mind this idea being disliked by developers or those who can possibly help me with this, it's trying the reason against it security reasons rather than personal objection to public disclosure of an initially public entity that I have a problem with.

I wouldn't want history of display names, if I had done I would have asked for a different extension of the system. There may be other users who would care for this feature, and it would also be an interesting solution, imho, although not fitting for my relatively simple requirements.

Quotebut that's normal

Because, you know me so well?

Quote from: Kindred on July 30, 2014, 07:10:55 AM
you posted a hypothetical conversation which was an EXAMPLE of what you want... but not a valid REASON.
Fair enough, but I felt my reason was exemplified in the hypothetical conversation.

If I was displaying the username AND display name on profiles, with everyone's consent, and it was collectively agreed that neither entities were hidden from public, would that be a fair enough reason for this particular modification to be implemented, in all of your (anyone who has an objection to this request in this thread) opinions?

Burke ♞ Knight

So, you WANT to make it easier for hackers to hack your member's accounts?

No one will help you to do that.

samborabora

Quote from: BurkeKnight on July 30, 2014, 07:55:57 AM
So, you WANT to make it easier for hackers to hack your member's accounts?

No one will help you to do that.

No, I didn't say that.  I didn't say that at all. I don't want that at all. Are you trying to tell me that SMF is so insecure that if someone doesn't change their username after they have registered and their username is available for the whole world to see and they have no option of hiding this from public view initially, that the possibility of being hacked is greatly increased?

Is that what everyone is telling me? Why hasn't one person replied to my point that usernames are initially visible by all members of the public, and there is no way of simultaneously hiding this from public view during registration

I never once said I wanted to increase the possibility of having anyone account hacked, this issue just seems to have grown way out of proportion from what appears to be a difference of opinion of what they'd prefer to be seen publicly.

<<Edited to remove huge caps-locked stuff>>

Burke ♞ Knight

Look, I run several SMF forums, and even a member here for a long time.
NOWHERE, do I see the main username of the members. ONLY the Admin sees them.

Show me where that you see them initially, and then maybe I'd agree that it needs to be changed.
But until then, I still say there is no point to this, and it leaves members more vulnerable to hackers.

samborabora

Quote from: BurkeKnight on July 30, 2014, 10:47:47 AM
Show me where that you see them initially, and then maybe I'd agree that it needs to be changed.

??? When you register. You are only presented with the option of registering with a username. Period. When you register an account at any SMF forum you are only allowed upon initiation to the forums, to be known as your username. You have to MANUALLY change your display name AFTER your register, so for a period of time you have no other option from the word go.

QuoteBut until then, I still say there is no point to this, and it leaves members more vulnerable to hackers.
Then basically you are saying that SMF's registration system is inherently designed with a security flaw that, unless promoted and manually administered by the user, leaves their account wide open to vulnerability.

Arantor

All the forum software has the same problem. It's most irritating to those of us that are security conscious.

I also reject your claim of earlier that membername history is not what you want. It is precisely the solution to your actual problem of 'user makes a post and changes name, confusing users as to whom they are', but like I said, you're so busy obsessing over your solution to what you see as your problem, that you cannot see the wood for the trees.

I've also noticed what sounds a lot like ungrateful whining in other threads (just my opinion on what it looks like) because you are a perfectionist but don't appear to want to learn the skills on making it happen for yourself. The people who provide help around here are not especially tolerant to such behaviour, especially when we have offered our collective years of experience in trying to get people to the real solution rather than the one they're fixated upon.

Best of luck to you.

samborabora

Quote from: ‽ on July 30, 2014, 01:22:03 PM
All the forum software has the same problem. It's most irritating to those of us that are security conscious.

Well, why not separate coding forum into "obsessive-perfectionist aesthetic code issues" and "anally-retentive security coding issues", that way those that are irritated by trivial issues such as how a forum works in response to user interaction can stay clear and only concern themselves with issues related to security.

I also reject your claim of earlier that membername history is not what you want. It is precisely the solution to your actual problem of 'user makes a post and changes name, confusing users as to whom they are', but like I said, you're so busy obsessing over your solution to what you see as your problem, that you cannot see the wood for the trees.

This would be far more work than I would need for this, which should never have been more than one line of code to compare if the $message[user][username] differed from the $message[user][displayname], but as usual this had to turn into an argument of why people felt my decisions weren't valid enough to receive help from more experienced coders. I don't need or require that much work on this, I just needed the values and a description on how to hack apart the arrays that this forum selectively cherry-picks to use for certain functions whilst other functions are perfectly obvious and easy to work on without experienced assistance.

QuoteI've also noticed what sounds a lot like ungrateful whining in other threads (just my opinion on what it looks like) because you are a perfectionist but don't appear to want to learn the skills on making it happen for yourself. The people who provide help around here are not especially tolerant to such behaviour, especially when we have offered our collective years of experience in trying to get people to the real solution rather than the one they're fixated upon.

I'd like you to repsent me with such examples, as far as I know, I have always been helpful, posted code that I have received and worked on myself for others to use and have not to the best of my knowledge engaged in any such 'whining'. I have always used easily legible English to describe my often elaborate issues and have never just left a thread with the seemingly standard for this particular forum 'ok thanks i fixxd it mself' followed by the ubiquitous 'how did u fix this i cant get it wrkin' to finish the thread before it slips off into 'no bump' territory.

I have found almost everyone around here to be tolerant of my questions and have been genuinely helpful, even you have been helpful to me on the odd occasion when you decide to concern yourself less with your so-called experience and trepidatious manner of dealing with anything that supposes a potential security and/or server load risk.

So far, not one person who has contributed to this thread has, as far as I can tell
Quoteoffered *their* collective years of experience in trying to get *me* to the real solution rather than the one they're fixated upon.
, as a matter of fact, only you have been helpful enough to suggest an alternate solution, and even then, this was merely a design suggestion, not actual hard code, which I generally thought would have been provided in a coding issues forum.

Quoteyou are a perfectionist but don't appear to want to learn the skills on making it happen for yourself.

I don't understand, suddenly I have become an irrational perfectionist because I disagreed with the alternative solution I was presented with, and disagreed on it superiority to my own concept?

Quotebut don't appear to want to learn the skills on making it happen for yourself.
I have learned more about coding php, mysql and smf than you could ever begin to imagine, purely by having access to the helpful work this forum has provided me with. I have met many helpful, friendly and supportive people in the last year. I couldn't have dreamed of udnerstanding the complex workings of this software without their help, so I would prefer you don't make such ungracious suggestions that I am a lazy, code bludger that can't work out anything for myself. As I said before, the amount of inconsistencies I have seen in this source code is staggering, and I still haven't learned to understand how the arrays work properly yet, so I'd be grateful if people could bear with me whilst I slowly but surely learn how to use this software correctly.

QuoteBest of luck to you.
thanks

Burke ♞ Knight

QuoteI have learned more about coding php, mysql and smf than you could ever begin to imagine

Take this, for something YOU cant even begin to imagine:

The guy you said that to, has a LOT more coding experience, than most of the people on this site combined.

Now, Just because they register with a username, does not mean jack. Even Global Moderators do not see the username of members. If the member leaves their display name the same as their username, the only people that know it, are the member and the admin.

Granted, the way I see it, username and display name should both be set at registration. Username should always be left private, and display name always changable by the member, whenever they want to.

However, that is not even the issue. According to what you said, you want it displayed, so members know who the person is. Well, that is moot, as even usernames are 99% of the time, made up just like the display name. What does that mean? It means, no matter what you want this for, it will not do as you want it to. It will NOT tell who the members are.

True, it may help to let people know if it is the same person, if they change their display name, but so does seeing their avatar, signature, and posts. Also, do not forget the rest of the identifying parts in the profiles, and on the sides of posts. (Granted, SMF does not show much on plain install, but most sites will add stuff...LOL)

Chalky

Maybe I've missed somethng, but why not just prevent your users from changing their display name using the setting in Features & Options....?

kat

That's kinda what I suggested, Your Chalkiness. But, hey, what do we know, ay?

Quote from: K@ on July 29, 2014, 12:34:28 PMWhy not just tell your members that they MUST have the name username and display name?

When samborabora said that "usernames are initially visible by all members of the public" , he meant that they can see their own names, not everyone else's.

I think it'd be best for me to ignore this, now, coz it's just too weird for words.

samborabora

Quote from: BurkeKnight on July 30, 2014, 02:32:51 PM
QuoteI have learned more about coding php, mysql and smf than you could ever begin to imagine

Take this, for something YOU cant even begin to imagine:

The guy you said that to, has a LOT more coding experience, than most of the people on this site combined.

I didn't mean I'd learned more than HIM, I meant I'd learnt more than he expected I would have done. I'm still a ****** coder, just know more than I did. I know he's ridiculously talented as are so many of you guys here.

I think we're confused here about my intentions. I don't want to show the members social security registered real name, just their username vs their display name. They probably would pick two aliases for both, but it was purely to identify what their original username was before they changed it.

Quote from: Chalky on July 30, 2014, 02:51:48 PM
Maybe I've missed somethng, but why not just prevent your users from changing their display name using the setting in Features & Options....?

Because I don't want to prevent people from changing their display name?

Quote from: K@ on July 30, 2014, 03:13:45 PM
That's kinda what I suggested, Your Chalkiness. But, hey, what do we know, ay?

Well, that would not have been what I requested either. I never said you people didn't know what you were talking about, but it seems difficult for most to grasp why I should be doing this, and understanding why your reasons don't really stand for much when nothing is setup with privacy in mind upon registration.

Jeezus, one line of code, that's all I wanted...

kat

Maybe we haven't understood...

When a person registers, they give their username, which is private, and the name they want people to see, on the forum.

Their display name.

So, if you could explain where their "social security registered real name" comes from, we might get the idea, perhaps?

It's so long sine I registered on an SMF site, that I might've forgotten something...

Illori

Quote from: K@ on July 30, 2014, 04:35:48 PM
Maybe we haven't understood...

When a person registers, they give their username, which is private, and the name they want people to see, on the forum.

Their display name.

by default when you register you are to enter your username and other info... in that other info it does not by default include the display name at all. so your username would be visible to everyone/anyone unless you allow users to modify their display name.

kat

As I said... Long time since I registered. :P

Maybe that's a kinda bugette, then...

Arantor

Oh I understood what was requested. I just know that the problem stated of users changing their names and causing confusion with a change can't be solved with their first username and their current username, and I even gave examples of why the requested solution actually doesn't work for the stated problem.

Also, it's not one line to be changed. It's actually several in several places.

Bigguy

It sounds to me like what he is trying to say is he wants to know what the user's display name was before they changed it to what it is now. I might be mistaken but that is what I get from this:

Quote"Hey, who's d***e?"
"No idea, they've got loads of posts"
"Hmm, anyone know?"
vs
"Hey, who's d***e?"
"Just rollover and see for yourself"
"Ahh, nice new name, member!"

Advertisement: