Screen name is taken

Started by TMR Guy, July 29, 2014, 04:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMR Guy

I just had a member join my site and the software told him that the screen name was already taken. I checked the members list and that name is not listed. Why is it doing this?

Thanks,

Burke ♞ Knight

What was the name?
It may be listed in the blocked username list.

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you check Usernames and Display Names?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Matthew K.

TMR Guy

Quote from: BurkeKnight on July 29, 2014, 04:11:16 PM
What was the name?
It may be listed in the blocked username list.
I don't have any names in my blocked username list.

Arantor

No, not your blocked username list, the restricted username list in the admin panel.

TMR Guy

Quote from: Krash on July 29, 2014, 04:15:32 PM
Did you check Usernames and Display Names?
I check the members list if that's what you mean. It wasn't on the members list.

TMR Guy

Quote from: ‽ on July 29, 2014, 05:20:19 PM
No, not your blocked username list, the restricted username list in the admin panel.
Do you mean the "Set Reserved Names?" I haven't blocked any names.

Arantor

That's funny since there are some set by default...

Which is why you were asked what username the user had tried to sign up with.

TMR Guy

Quote from: ‽ on July 29, 2014, 05:24:50 PM
That's funny since there are some set by default...

Which is why you were asked what username the user had tried to sign up with.
Yes there are a few set by default (I didn't add any). The name he is trying to use is Playboy.

Thanks,

TMR Guy

Just a guess. If someone registered using that screen name but never activated their account via email, would that be why?

Arantor

Well, yes, because the account was previously created and in use - hence the suggestion of looking in the usernames and display names...

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: ‽ on July 30, 2014, 03:04:39 AM
Well, yes, because the account was previously created and in use - hence the suggestion of looking in the usernames and display names...

Yep probably because of that. If the account isn't activated it's still there. You should have a good long look at your member list and go through both display and user names like suggested. I'm sure you will find it :D.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

TMR Guy

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on July 30, 2014, 03:10:37 AM
Quote from: ‽ on July 30, 2014, 03:04:39 AM

Yep probably because of that. If the account isn't activated it's still there. You should have a good long look at your member list and go through both display and user names like suggested. I'm sure you will find it :D.
How do I do that?

Thanks guys,

Jade Elizabeth

In the admin panel click "members". It will show both names :D.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Mstcool

You can check the "awaiting activation" tab by going to member>awaiting activation

to make sure that someone didnt previously use "playboy" and havent activated it yet. :p

TMR Guy

That did it, thanks guys.

He registered and messed up his email address, instead putting yahoo.com he put yah.com so the activation email never got sent out. So when he registered again it said the name was being used. I was just checking the regular members list not the admins member list (so I just learned something new).

As I looked over the admins members list I seen there's maybe 10 members that haven't activated their accounts (there not spammers I checked) so I will have to look into this.

Thanks again,

TMR Guy

Mstcool

Jade Elizabeth

Excellent, glad you got it sorted!

If you havent got the stop spammer mod installed I highly recommend it too. I've had it for AGES and only a couple have gotten through on 2 busy forums :).

Advertisement: