Limitation by IP to specific topic

Started by AxelPAL, July 31, 2014, 02:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AxelPAL

Hello. I have a problem to solve. I have some topics at SMF and I want to limit access to part of them to autorized users with some IPs.
For example, user Admin must have access permition to topic Important at ip 127.0.0.1, but this topic should not show up for Admin at another IP.
Is that real to make this possible? Any extension or may be another solution?

Arantor

Why not just create an admin-only board and put the topics in there?

Just create it in the admin panel as you would normally and just disallow any other group to see it by unticking all the boxes. Admins can always see every board.

AxelPAL

Its more complex. I want to give access to some users (they MUST not to be admins) only if they visit the forum with specific IP that I store in database.

Arantor

There's really no good way to do that, especially since the way SMF handles such things. IP address should never, ever be relied on as a primary method of access.

Though you could still create a board, create a group for those people who should see it (making sure only that group can see that board), and then proceed to add people to that group.

AxelPAL

OK, I describe siluation:
We built a website for our customer, they wanted to have a forum. I chose SMF. Some customers have access to private topic at forum if they have some priveleges at site. I put users with needed priveleges in special group at forum so they can see this secret topic. But the customer wants their users to be able to see this topic only if they are at their workplaces with static IP.
So I want such nontrivial filter for that.

Arantor

There's no good way to do that in SMF, sorry.

Advertisement: