News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Unable to post more than 3 links

Started by Kyrislian, July 31, 2014, 10:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyrislian

Hi there! I've come across a problem where we cannot have more than 3 links within our post. Any more and the site throws a 404 error. I did a search on this board to see if there were any similar problems, and there was one but it was made over a year ago so I decided to post a new one for fresh info.

What I did was follow the advice in that particular thread (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=487922.msg3417930#msg3417930) which was to disable mod_security. This has been done, but unfortunately has not fixed my problem.

The odd thing is that we used to be able to do this, and checking back on one of the posts, it was in March 2013. In the time between that and now, the limit has been imposed.

If it helps any, I'm running SMF 2.0.8, and the board has been updated to the latest patch.

Arantor

That still sounds like mod_security to be honest.

Justyne

Oh peculiar.

And am I reading this correctly: there are older posts currently dispaying with more than 3 links, but new ones made cause a 404?

You don't any mods installed that could be causing this, do you?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Arantor

I'd be surprised if it actually were a 404, more likely a 406, but Apache doesn't have a handler set up for 406 and says it hits a 404 in the process.

margarett

It is mod_security. Some months ago I've been debugging that same issue with a user and that was it ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kyrislian

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

It's strange though, I've already sent a request in to my host and they've disabled mod_security on my account. But it still won't work.

For older posts, the links do show up. But if we try to make a new post, we get the error. If we try to edit the pre-existing posts (which was how we discovered this), we get that error as well.

I doubt that our mods are affecting it though, as we've never installed any new mods between those two times.

I'm been testing some things out now though, and this is really peculiar. Pasting only the urls, we can post however many links we like. However, when enclosing the URL in the [url] tag, the error returns again.

Additionally, it seems that if I skip the http:// out of the [url] links, it will display all of them fine. However, when editing that post, the http:// re-appears in all the urls.

Hopefully that can help narrow down what might be happening?

Kindred

I will bet you $10 that they did not actually DISABLE mod_security...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kyrislian

Is there any way to check that outside asking my host?

Advertisement: