Developing a bridge that uses external service with different namespace.

Started by gamey, August 01, 2014, 06:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gamey

So I have a login authenticator service that uses a p2p network.  Specifically Bitshares X which is a p2p network much like Bitcoin.  It has a way to register names on the blockchain.  I have an example in php as a proof of concept, but I am trying to find the path of least resistance on the SMF end.  This is a bit different from a lot of bridges if I understand correctly.  There will be a fully functional standalone smf, but it will allow login via this bridge plugin.

Here is my general approach.  Each user account will need an additional field that has their blockchain name.

If a user creates the account via the Bitshares authenticator, then the blockchain name will be automatically filled out.  I would like to force them to the account creation page and force them to create a password like the normal method.

If a user creates a normal account or has an existing one, then this field will be blank by default.  Once a user puts a blockchain registered name in there, then the owner of that name on the Bitshares  blockchain will be able to login.

Are there any bridges that work like this ?  Or something similar ? 
Thoughts?  Pitfalls?  Direction ?

gamey

So I am thinking of looking at the Open ID implementation because it sounds close to what I need.  It appears that it isn't a plugin/bridge though.  Would it be hard to duplicate similar functionality inside a plugin?   Getting it to work is one thing, then making it an actual working plugin is another.  I am aiming for both.

Kindred

well, actually a few things...

-- no, OpenID just validates that the ID has been registered ans allows it to be used for the forum
-- OpenID seems to be on the way out.  We're actually considering replacing it with something different in 2.1
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

OpenID was a good idea that never got traction. OAuth does it better, though.

The thing about replacing it in 2.1 is that, honestly, you're already 3 years in the hole and replacing something that huge...especially with some of the stuff I've raised, would be a bad idea IMNSHO.

Advertisement: