News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

White space between menus and forum start, when resized?

Started by skeletonkiss, August 01, 2014, 01:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antechinus

This is unbelievable. Why is everyone treating this as if it was mysterious? It's dead basic.

The main_block.png has limited height, and the same chunk of that image does the upper radii for the header and the lower radii for the footer. This means that if you stick too much content into the header, you will see the lower radii showing at the bottom of the header (or as close to the bottom as the image height allows) and you may, depending on amount of content, also see the background colour below the image.

This was an issue during 2.0.x development, and the height of the image was increased back then to a level which we thought would keep most people out of trouble most of the time. It's still not limitless though.

An easy solution, if you are not worried about rounded corners is IE8, is to simply change the CSS to not call the image on the header, and just use a border and a border radius instead.

skeletonkiss

Could you possibly give me an example of what code I would wanna use for that and where to put it? 90% of the time I post in here I end up feeling like a toddler trying to read because I didn't go to school for coding or something.... lol

ARG01

QuoteThe main_block.png has limited height, and the same chunk of that image does the upper radii for the header and the lower radii for the footer.

This is exactly why I do away with the main_block.png in all designs. Even when the main_block.png was first implemented in 2.0 it wasn't a very good idea.
Regardless, I still stick by my suggestion of removing the #fefefe in the header area. It may not help the current issues but a light color has no business backing up a dark background image.

I will now condemn myself from the 2.0x support boards and reserve any time for the Graphics and Template board areas.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

skeletonkiss

I removed #fefefe. All it did was leave a blank space showing the back ground. Doesn't solve my issue, hence why I'd like a better way to achieve this.

Honestly I'd be fine with doing away with the main block entirely, at least for the actual rounded corner areas and the header area, I'm just not sure what coding I'd have to alter to remove that and add the border radius to achieve a similar effect, as the coding for everything is so split up into sections it intimidates me.

Antechinus

Quote from: SimpMode on August 01, 2014, 08:29:04 PMThis is exactly why I do away with the main_block.png in all designs. Even when the main_block.png was first implemented in 2.0 it wasn't a very good idea.

It was a good idea for supporting evil old excuses for browsers with a new theme that was curvy (which at the time was the bomb, because nobody had roundy themes, although I just knew that everyone would start wanting square themes as soon as roundy ones became easy, and of course I was right :D ) and without piles of http requests.

QuoteRegardless, I still stick by my suggestion of removing the #fefefe in the header area. It may not help the current issues but a light color has no business backing up a dark background image.

Yeah that's just slack coding.

QuoteI will now condemn myself from the 2.0x support boards and reserve any time for the Graphics and Template board areas.  ;)

ROFL.

Antechinus

Quote from: skeletonkiss on August 01, 2014, 09:04:15 PM
I removed #fefefe. All it did was leave a blank space showing the back ground. Doesn't solve my issue, hence why I'd like a better way to achieve this.

Honestly I'd be fine with doing away with the main block entirely, at least for the actual rounded corner areas and the header area, I'm just not sure what coding I'd have to alter to remove that and add the border radius to achieve a similar effect, as the coding for everything is so split up into sections it intimidates me.

What code have you got for the header now?

skeletonkiss

I have whatever the default css is for using the mainblock image on the rounded corners. Hence not knowing what all I would need to edit to use borders instead.

skeletonkiss

I'd still love to know what I'd need to edit to completely do away with the mainblock image. I'm familiar with the border-radius element, but the way the image is distributed through the entire css, is very daunting.....

Kindred

You will need a lot of time, a lot of coding knowledge and an understanding of how to remake themes...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

skeletonkiss

Or five minutes of looking at a theme based on curve not using the main_block image for the forum header, footer or sides....I figured it out, threw in some border radius coding, and fixed the problem entirely.

Advertisement: