News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

406 Not Acceptable when modifying categories

Started by TrentT, August 01, 2014, 03:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrentT

Since I've changed the path of the forum to a /community subdirectory, modifying forum categories would give me a 406 Not Acceptable error.

QuoteNot Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource /community/index.php could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I've browsed some other topics on the support forum, but I couldn't find anything what would fix this problem.

Useful info in a nutshell:
- Forum is located in a subdirectory
- Website is hosted with godaddy (as I've read it may could ive errors)
- Some specific other actions, such as editing stylesheets from the forum, gives the same error

Any thoughts?

Arantor

TrentT

Alright, they just told me that they aren't able to disable mod_security as we are not on a VPS or Dedicated Server. Disabling the mod_security would affect all users.

Quote from the support guy:
QuoteWe are aware of this issue that Simple Machines Forums has with our hosting plans and we have contacted Simple Machines Forums to try and resolve this issue, but unfortunately they would not work with us. At this time the only way that SMFs will work with our hosting is if you have a Virtual Private Server or a Dedicated Server

It would be highly appreciated if the SMF team would be working with GoDaddy to look for a solution. But as for now, it seems there's nothing I can do about this.

Arantor

Sorry but I call BS.

I contacted them myself (in capacity as SMF Developer) and heard no response. They wouldn't even confirm what it was that was the problem so I could fix it.

And I call further BS on the part of disabling mod_security. Many other users have been able to get GoDaddy to disable mod_security without being on the higher tiers.

Illori

we had worked with them... recently they replied to us that they solved the issue without further input required from us.

Arantor

You guys got someone to actually talk to you? Wow. Though I see it was thoroughly successful.

JBlaze

GoDaddy is generally a bad choice for web hosting, and even more so for domain hosting. Their practices have turned me off more than a few times, which is why I moved all my domains from them a while ago.

Consider moving to another host, especially if they refuse to turn off mod_security.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Kindred

And I will state this for the official record as the Project Manager of SMF.

That support guy is lying through his teeth.

1- they never contacted us. We attempted to contact them DOZENS of times and finally got through to someone just recently. Until then they ignored us.
2- They never worked with us. At all. period.  Even the recent contact - the only result was a statement form them that "they have figured out the problem and resolved the issue by changing the settings on their site".  They never gave any suggestion or indication of what rule was being triggered or why...
3- he is also lying about requiring a VPS.   We have several dozen examples of users who bulled their way up to level 3 support, only to find that someone did something that suddenlt made their site work again, without going to a dedicted server or VPS (although there was never a specific explanation of why)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TrentT

I talked to another support guy and he fixed the problem by hand, without having to switch to some VPS or Dedicated server.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: