Is it safe to delete smf search log words?

Started by humbleworld, August 01, 2014, 05:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleworld

Hello Friends, the table containing smf_search_log_words has ballooned to nearly 1GB. Is it safe to delete or empty this file?

Also, where shall I access the settings for search method in SMF 2.0.8? Thank you for your help.

Arantor

The setting for search method is where it has always been: Admin > Forum > Search

If you delete that table, you will break search if you are using a custom index, since... well, that's the custom index.

If you want to replace it with fulltext, you can then delete the custom index.

humbleworld

Thanks, ?. So, which is better, custom index or fulltext search method?

I could not find the search setting even if I go to Admin > Forum > Search

Arantor

Search Method is one of the pages in that area.

Better is relative. Cusotm index always used to outperform fulltext even at a greater space usage, but these days it really needs rebenchmarking.

humbleworld

Correction: Now I found the search method option:
1. No Index
2. Full Index
3. Custom Index

What are the pros and cons of using each method?

Arantor

No index is the slowest. It also requires least space.

Full index is typically faster, requires a medium amount of space.

Custom index always used to be fastest, requiring most space.

butchs

Bla!  Based on how a benchmark done many years ago?  When 16 or 32 bit was supreme?  I simply do not not understand why people cling so much to the computer past...  Hey I miss them Good Ole days (before 92) when tracing was not common place...  Those days are gone...  So tread with caution!  You are being watched by the US Government!

I am leaning towards "no index" just because there was a reason why you asked in the first place.  If it is a deal, chances are your host is not giving you much disk space to work with (could be an over seller).

Possibly some bots are hitting your search feature and sucking up the space (nothing new)...  If so, "no index" will save bandwidth and etc!

I really question how much slower or faster it is with today's modern 64 bit computers?

What do I know?
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Arantor

Either search index will be faster than no index, if only because there's simply so much less data to go through each time (since you only consider a tiny fraction of the data you would with no index, because you already have an index of what words are available rather than hitting every single post)

I'm well aware of the lack of recent benchmarks of full vs custom, but if you've ever seen Sphinx or Lucene (including derivatives such as ElasticSearch), their approach is broadly similar to custom indexes, specifically for that reason, because it is faster than chewing through every post (especially since no-index searches will lock up the messages table while carrying out, which prevents new posts on MyISAM tables). That said I don't have a decent representative content base to make meaningful benchmarks out of because test data really doesn't work for such things.

I have not observed bots hammering the search function, but anything's possible.

butchs

Because you have more important things to do.  Watching bots is vassal work.  :)
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Arantor

Very kind of you to say, but bot-watching is sort of a weekend warrior pastime ;D

humbleworld

Thank you for your inputs, Butchs and ?. I have been enlightened by your knowledge on this matter.

Advertisement: