News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Mobile/phone version for our forum

Started by AkinMania, August 02, 2014, 04:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AkinMania

Dear Simple Machines Community Forum users,

I am sorry if my topic does not ''follow'' the rules, because I am here for the first time and I find it very complicated. Let's get on topic,

We, *our forum (I don't know if I am allowed to mention the name, reply if I am)*, are interested in having a mobile/phone theme for our forum. For your information, we currently are using this: SMF 2.0.8

There is more information given below at the forum, but I am not allowed to share that I guess.

I want to know how to get this theme. Will it be like, ''m.forumlink.com'' or something else? Please give me more information regarding this subject.

Once again, I am very sorry if I mentioned any information which is not allowed. I am here for the first time. Nice to meet you all!

EDIT: I mean a mobile version, obviously.

NanoSector

Hi AkinMania, welcome to SMF!

You did well with this post, there's just enough information in it :)

There are several solutions available for SMF, and SMF 2.1 (the upcoming release) will include a mobile theme by default.

These solutions are available
- http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2408 (free, though I'm not exactly sure if that one will work correctly)
- http://smf-media.com/ (paid)

Then there's also a solution called Tapatalk. They have an official mod available for SMF. Please visit their website for further instructions:
https://tapatalk.com/

As far as a "m.forumlink.com" goes, no, you will not get a subdomain for the mobile website. Your forum will be able to detect whether a mobile device is being used, and if so, it will load the mobile theme instead of the "regular" theme.

If you have any further questions, be sure to ask! :)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

AkinMania

Thanks a lot, NanoSector!

Following to your answer, I have another question: ''When does SMF 2.1 exactly release?''

I assume that when SMF 2.1 releases, the mobile theme won't cost any money, right? Also, will the mobile theme just be for iOS or also with Android/Windows phone.

Arantor

2.1 will be done when it's done. A mobile theme that works generically on phones is what is being developed

AkinMania

I very appreciate your fast and helpful answer. I got the information I needed, thanks a lot!

Kindred

and BTW: the "m.site" version of styling is on its way out.
Modern behavior is to design a responsive theme that works correctly on desktop, tablet and mobile views.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

radu81

If you don't like tapatalk the only good alternative is that from smf-media.com that nanosector mentioned. It's not free but worth the money. You  can see it in action on smf-media.com and also in the websites of my signature

Welcome to smf!
sorry for my bad english

Daniiel

You can try with responsive theme: http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2806
Adapts to the different screen resolutions, including phones and tablets.

Jade Elizabeth

I've often wondered about this. Going to give Tapatalk a shot and see what happens :D.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Jade Elizabeth

If member x cannot see board 1, 2 or 3....will they see those in the app?
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

NanoSector

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on August 24, 2014, 08:29:48 AM
Short answer: Probably not.

Long technical answer: If Tapatalk uses the regular SMF functions for showing stuff, no. If Tapatalk decided to write their own functions, not guaranteed.
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Jade Elizabeth

I searched their forums and the only answer did not answer it lol.

https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/boards-to-hide.26018/

For reference if anyone wants to see

NanoSector

If their password recovery system'd work, I'd take a look at their package... :-\

Arantor

I couldn't honestly recommend Tapatalk. Too many fringe issues keep cropping up where it chooses to ignore SMF's own code in favour of its own.

lc62003

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on August 24, 2014, 08:29:48 AM

No, they won't see them in TT.   ;)

Arantor

You mean they won't see them *now*...

lc62003

Oh clearly it isn't ideal in terms of security.  Personally I have mixed feelings about it's use, but dang it is a convenient way to surf.   8)

I have limited the usergroups who can use it (staff, payed subscription groups, etc) to filter it to known, trusted users.  In other words someone could not join up to begin hacking at it right away.  This isn't foolproof either but surely it cuts down on the monkey business potential at least a little.  Do you have other suggestions?

It is also true they have other "business practices" that are less than impressive, though some seem to have gotten better with time.  Yes, it's a love/hate relationship.   :D  Alas, the users love it.  Regardless of my own feelings I work for them.   :)

Jade Elizabeth

How the hell is someone going to use that to hack your forum? I mean come on. Seriously?!

Advertisement: