News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Registration activation loop

Started by davo88, August 02, 2014, 04:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davo88

This problem experienced with v2.07, just updated to v2.08 but problem persists.

New registrants report not receiving activation emails. So I tested two new test registrations with two known good email addresses. Neither test registration received a welcome/activation email. Yet if I go to the "Awaiting Activation" list in the Admin panel, check the member and select "Activate and send mail", the account is activated and a welcome email arrives immediately. All other email notifications appear to be functioning normally and messages are received normally.

So following the path that a new user might use to troubleshoot non-receipt of email, I tried the "Resend activation code" page to request a second email and received this error message:

QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
That email address ([email protected]) is being used by a registered member already. If you feel this is a mistake, go to the login page and use the password reminder with that address.

So as suggested, I returned to the Login page and used the "Forgot your password?" link to request a password reset and received another error message:

QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, this account has not yet been activated. If you need to resend the activation email please click here.

That suggestion sends me around in a loop between the two error messages.

There seems to be two problems here:

1) Not sending the initial welcome/activation email to new registrants.

2) A user attempting to solve the problem gets stuck in an error message loop.

Any help much appreciated, Dave

Kindred

you can not request a password reset until the account has been activated...

I can not imagine your system won't send activation emails for the user but will send them for the admin "force resend"

What mods do you have installed?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

davo88

Stop Spammer v2.3.9
httpBL v2.5.1
Simple Audio Embedder v2.0.1
Remove Child Boards v2.2.1
Join date and location in Posts v1.1
Ad Managment v3.0.1

Deaks

davo88, do you still need help with this?

If so please update us on the issue and someone will help more, I have marked this as solved until you get back to us,
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

davo88

Yes, I do still need help.

As a stop-gap measure, I am manually monitoring the 'Awaiting Activation' list and then using the 'Remind and send email' function to send them an email.

Thanks for following this up.

Advertisement: