Upgrading 2.0 RC1.2

Started by Chris Grable, August 03, 2014, 12:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grable

Hello and thanks in advance!

I am assuming administration of a site that includes an SMF forum (v 2.0 RC1.2).  Have been researching how to upgrade to the latest version and I get the impression that patching it is the right solution. 

Caveats...  I am a moderate user (cpanel, site maint, wordpress, simple scripts, etc...) with NO experience with SMF.

The previous admin reports that he had issues doing updates quite a while back and they just stopped trying.  No one seems to know why or what the "symptoms" were.

As I understand it... these are the site's current packages.

I was trying to decide which package(s) to download and install but ended up confused.

Was hoping someone might point me in the right direction.  If I can get started... I, hopefully, won't be too needy  ;)

Thanks!
chris

Arantor

Not for a version that old, no. No patch has ever been produced for versions prior to 2.0.0 and even if they were, the odds are that the package manager would simply choke on it.

The only way to get from 2.0 RC1.2 to 2.0.8 is to use the large upgrade, which is documented under Upgrading SMF

Kindred

exactly...   and this is one reason why we caution people about using beta and RC versions on live sites.... there is no upgrade patch to run beta or RC versions to gold version...  only from gold/release upward.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I mean, it is possible to patch the site (even live) but you'd have to be brave, stupid or crazy competent to do it without breaking anything to go that level of distance. Even RC to RC is bad enough, last time I did that it was a couple of days of slog by hand (since packman refused to have anything to do with it)

Chris Grable

Okay... sounds like sage advice!  THANKS!

I read somewhere ( http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=521901.0  )  that upgrading to 2.0.6 and then patching up might be a better choice.  Any thoughts on this or am I confused?

Cheers,
chris

Arantor

There's really not a lot in it at this stage, all the issues in 2.0.7 were fixed in 2.0.8 so it's not like you'd realistically need to roll back to 2.0.7 or to 2.0.6 in the case of any issues.

Chris Grable

Arantor

Glad to help. If you run into any difficulties, please do let us know :)

butchs

Quote from: ‽ on August 03, 2014, 03:08:12 PM
There's really not a lot in it at this stage, all the issues in 2.0.7 were fixed in 2.0.8 so it's not like you'd realistically need to roll back to 2.0.7 or to 2.0.6 in the case of any issues.

I dunno about dat!  This here forum is still running 2.0.7.  The admin here must know something we do not know.  Me thinks, I may stop at 2.0.7 until I see an upgrade here.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Arantor

This forum is still running the broken patch of 2.0.7. I have been complaining about it since January. Apparently it's too complicated to patch this site or to organise someone to get even the fixed version of 2.0.7 on here let alone 2.0.8.

There is nothing that 'the admin here must know' that 'we do not'. I know *exactly* what went in each patch, including the fact that 2.0.8 first went out the door with a typo in it.

butchs

A typo in 2.0.8!  Oh the panic!  Does this mean there is going to be a 2.0.9 soon?
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Kindred

Butchs, please...   Snide comments are not needed.

And yes, there will be a 2.0.9 eventually, Although not because of the typo
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: