News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Disappearing Threads

Started by colby2152, August 03, 2014, 06:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colby2152

All of a sudden, two days ago, my forum has been experiencing a strange issue with viewing threads in a board index.  It seems that third-level boards are most impacted.  An example can be found here: http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?board=1725.0

The board could show no threads despite there being five threads.  All of a sudden, a user could post a test thread in that board, go back to the index, and see all of the threads.  However, when the moderator moves a thread out of that board then all of the threads in the board index disappear.  The threads are still there but all users, guests, moderators, and admins cannot see the threads until a new thread is posted.

I thought lack of space on a partition drive of my server as well as running 2.0.6 (as opposed to 2.0.8 which just updated today) caused it, but it is still happening despite addressing both of those situations.  Help anyone?
ProFSL.com - Pro Fantasy Sports Leagues - Advanced fantasy sports leagues, contests, free chances at cash/prizes, and sports discussion.

Need a server? I am happy to advocate this hosting solution - hands on customer service and reliability is relieving!!!

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

colby2152

Quote from: Kindred on August 03, 2014, 07:34:11 PM
Mods installed?

I did have an error earlier today from the Optimus Brave mod, but uninstalling that only removed the error and didn't address this problem.
ProFSL.com - Pro Fantasy Sports Leagues - Advanced fantasy sports leagues, contests, free chances at cash/prizes, and sports discussion.

Need a server? I am happy to advocate this hosting solution - hands on customer service and reliability is relieving!!!

Ninja ZX-10RR

You didn't answer the question, though. He used only a few words but answering that question might be more useful than you may think, as he/we/someone will be (hopefully) able to assist you that way. Otherwise it is simply not possible as your post is like "it doesn't work, please fix it for me and no I refuse to provide any further details because I just don't want to :P". Dont take it personally, I tried to be a bit sarcastic to make you understand how you look like to everyone's eyes if you post like this. Moral is: please answer the question and provide as many details as possible so we can better assist you, will you? :)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

colby2152

I should have posted that I was via mobile and wasn't able to get the full list. :-\

I have a laundry list of mods...

11 custom mods + the following 17 public mods

Menu_Icons
More Spiders
Add Join Date to Post
Add Social Media Icon to Profiles
PNG Message Icons
Spiders Don't Increase Topic Views
SMF Store
SMF4MobileMod (not quite public, but not custom for me)
Voter Visability
SimpleDesk
SimplePortal
Fix Firefox 8.0 download problems
Last Active On MemberList
Member NotePad
RSS Feed Poster
MimeTex
Alternate User Posting

I wonder if there is a specific part of the SMF code that may be affected by a mod that I should be analyzing?

Updates: The boards affected appear to be ones in which a moderator has moved a thread from... and some of these boards, the second page of threads cannot be seen.  I have combatted this temporarily by instructing mods not to move threads (just lock them) and expanding number of threads viewed per board from 40 to 250.

colby2152

As mentioned above, the boards affected appear to be ones in which a moderator has moved a thread from... and some of these boards, the second page of threads cannot be seen.  I have combatted this temporarily by instructing mods not to move threads (just lock them) and expanding number of threads viewed per board from 40 to 250.  Is there a particular file in the SMF code that affects how threads are viewed?

margarett

Having 250 topics per board can cause some performance penalty.

The list of topics per board is fetched in MessageIndex.php. There is, however, a bunch of conditionals that affect the output.
Could you please attach your file for us to check?

Also, I would try to disable forum cache entirely just to see if something changes ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

colby2152

Quote from: margarett on August 05, 2014, 12:40:01 PM
Having 250 topics per board can cause some performance penalty.

I figured which it is why it is temporary.  My board mods love it though.  Note that I increased it from 40 to 250 as a temporary means to address the issue at hand.

The list of topics per board is fetched in MessageIndex.php. There is, however, a bunch of conditionals that affect the output.
Could you please attach your file for us to check?

Thanks for taking a look at it.  It appears that only one of my custom mods (MGC Rewards System) affects MessageIndex.php and it is a simple one-liner.  I can't imagine that all of a sudden, as of August 1st, that mod decided to go asleep and break that line.

Also, I would try to disable forum cache entirely just to see if something changes ;)

I have disabled cache.  Won't that affect performance?

margarett

I will add some extra load to you server, yes (stuff that isn't cached has to be loaded from the DB in every page load)

Did anything change with cache disabled?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

colby2152

Quote from: margarett on August 06, 2014, 08:34:03 AM
I will add some extra load to you server, yes (stuff that isn't cached has to be loaded from the DB in every page load)

Did anything change with cache disabled?

Cache being disabled didn't change anything.  The problem is still there.

Deaks

colby2152 as its been 15days has this been resolved?

If not please let us know, I have marked this solved until you get back to us
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

colby2152

Quote from: TrayBake on August 26, 2014, 06:08:55 PM
colby2152 as its been 15days has this been resolved?

If not please let us know, I have marked this solved until you get back to us

It has not been resolved.  Unfortunately, it's still a mystery.

margarett

Really a mystery...

I'd like to check it in place if you don't mind. Can you please PM me an admin test account? I'll also need access to the database...

colby2152

Quote from: margarett on September 10, 2014, 03:50:21 AM
Really a mystery...

I'd like to check it in place if you don't mind. Can you please PM me an admin test account? I'll also need access to the database...

Sure thing Bruno.  Check your Inbox.

margarett

For future reference, the issue was a wrong number of topics in boards. Affected boards had number of topics = 1 although there were several topics from that board.
When a topic was moved that total dropped to 0 and, as such, no topics were loaded.
"Recount totals" fixed the problem.

Advertisement: