News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Disable Showing of Banned Users

Started by Enverex, August 05, 2014, 05:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enverex

I've noticed an odd quirk in the SMF members list: If a user is banned by name then they don't appear in the members list. That's to be expected. But if a user is banned because they share an IP with a banned user (thus they are also banned) they still show up in the members list.

Is this deliberate? If so, is it possible to not show any banned users in the members list, not just specifically banned ones?

Arantor

It's intentional because a ban on a user is definitively applied to that user. A ban applied to an IP may or may not apply to any given user, since it is only checked when the user tries to use the site, not to their account.

Changing it in the manner you suggest is not recommended at all because of the significant performance cost that will be required to make that work.

Enverex

That's a shame, as the users getting banned are spam accounts, thus their accounts have links to spam sites in their signature and WWW in their profile so they need to disappear. I guess I'll have to keep banning them manually or write a workaround myself.

Arantor

Good luck writing such a workaround. It's a nightmare to do this with the ban system, and frankly banning IP addresses is the wrong way to do it anyway.

Keep the spammers out rather than cleaning up after them: Spam - my forum is flooded with spam, what can I do

Enverex

Those are already in place. Captcha, Email activation AND custom questions that I've written. It's clearly people being paid to sign up to forums and spam rather than bots.

Arantor

Email activation hasn't been an anti-spam deterrant in years, I was seeing spammers manage that in 2007. CAPTCHA, if it's the stock CAPTCHA, is broken and has been broken in versions of Xrumer for several years too.

Which leaves your questions, and most people write terrible questions, to be honest. Bots can search Google for the answer.

Enverex

Then why did you link to that page that states to use those three things?

Arantor

Because it gives you more advice than just those three things.

Kindred

you have to read the WHOLE PAGE of the FAQ...    I have not had a single spammer successfully register in 2 years now.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Enverex

I've hardened the signup page now then taking a few queues from that page, we'll see how it goes.

Deaks

Enverex, I have marked this as solved as it seems the querry has been answered :)

If this is wrong pester Kindred more ;) or post here :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: