News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Facebook/Twitter/Social network login

Started by Ninja ZX-10RR, August 06, 2014, 01:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja ZX-10RR

With all the updates, facebook updating its API key and so on there is no mod allowing me to integrate a social login on my forum. :( I checked the mod list and I tried all of those but none of them worked or it was outdated...
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Ninja ZX-10RR

It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Suki

You kinda answered yourself. No one wants to work on something that will become useless in 3 months or so. Only companies/people with the money or human resources are capable of keeping up with all the changes Facebook/Twitter introduces.

Lots and lots of devs are/were pretty angry with this, thats what it was years ago when I dig a little bit on Facebook for devs forums. I can see that hasn't changed a bit.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Thanks for your reply... It's sad to hear this  :( I think that SMF would benefit a lot from such a mod as from what I could see people are more likely to register with a quick registration form rather than the usual and somehow "boring" one that is common to any other forum...

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Suki

No one is saying this isn't beneficial but there are more aspects to take into account.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Never claimed the opposite, it's just sad. Facebook integration is almost everywhere nowadays...

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

vbgamer45

I might make one not sure how I want to do it though. it might be software as a service though so we just have to manage one app which would make configuration easier.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Ninja ZX-10RR

Sure *you* need to create an application for it, I don't know all the details about it but I'm pretty sure that keeping it up-to-date with those lazy FB programmers would not be so easy as they seem to have fun changing the API all the times -.-

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

glennk

In 2014 this should be in the core. SMF is really begining to fall behind the other forum softwares now.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Kindred

I disagree glennk...

1st and most importantly - groups like facebook and google change their interface frequently and without sufficient warning. Each time they do this, it would require a version update to the core software.

2nd - as vbgamer says - most (if not all) of the others don't have it as part of core... they have this as an add-on for reason #1

3rd - it's much easier to update an add-on/mod than the core.

4th - not every site -- or even the majority, I suspect -- use or desire that connection...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

Quote from: vbgamer45 on October 14, 2014, 02:38:56 PM
Which forum software has it built in?

Afaik (Paid)

vBulletin: Facebook Login
XenForo: Facebook / Twitter / Google+ Login
IPB4 (don't know what IPB3 supports): Facebook / Twitter / Google+ / Microsoft / LinkedIN Login

I'm saying only login because I never used those software(s) for advanced usage or tested their integration.

radu81

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3580

it's working, or at least a few months ago when I installed into my forum it was working

from my experience about 10% of users registered to my forum using this mod. The bad part is that most of them are inactive. If they don't want to fill a few forms they wil surely never post :( sad but true
sorry for my bad english

Night09

Quote from: radu81 on October 14, 2014, 04:56:13 PM
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3580

it's working, or at least a few months ago when I installed into my forum it was working

from my experience about 10% of users registered to my forum using this mod. The bad part is that most of them are inactive. If they don't want to fill a few forms they wil surely never post :( sad but true

Read the TOS before using this...I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole.... Vanilla forums is a better option

radu81

I did, and was not agree but it was the only mod availble.

about vanilla... point of view.... but better stay on topic ;)
sorry for my bad english

Night09

Quote from: radu81 on October 14, 2014, 05:11:34 PM
I did, and was not agree but it was the only mod availble.

about vanilla... point of view.... but better stay on topic ;)

It is on topic...it was asked up the thread if you read it..

Kindred

yeah, the mod was approved, but no way I would ever use that service...

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

vbgamer45

Any reason you do not like that service? I was thinking about building one myself at least FB,twitter, google+

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Biology Forums

If you find the registration page to be boring, then spice it up with a bit of change... I thought so too, but since I like to be unique, my reigration page looks nothing like the ordinary in terms of design.

Quote from: ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦ on August 16, 2014, 02:59:57 PM
Thanks for your reply... It's sad to hear this  :( I think that SMF would benefit a lot from such a mod as from what I could see people are more likely to register with a quick registration form rather than the usual and somehow "boring" one that is common to any other forum...

Ninja ZX-10RR

I meant that it's boring because every single forum has the same thing to be filled with data... Like username, pass, email and anti-spam... I find it boring and when I have to register to a trusty site I always use facebook integration (and then remove it :P ). I still think that the fact that smf doesn't have it is a HUGE cons for its use. I don't want and can't even change software but this at least sucks, among other things directly and not directly related to the software itself.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Suki

AFAIK the only reason we don't add that is because it will be a nightmare to maintain, NOT because we are againts implementing it.

If someone wants to spend the rest of his/her life maintaining a script to keep up with all the extravaganzas facebook and twitter come up to just so you won't be boring... then go ahead I'll be waiting the PR at github :)

It always amazes me how easily people let facebook control their life, habits and whatnot, I also find it amazing how little consideration people have over they own privacy and personal data.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Antes

Undefined index: Privacy
Line: 1 - Life.php

Ninja ZX-10RR

I told you already that I already got your point, but it doesn't really matter to end-users. Someone shoud really do it anyway, almost all the Android apps that I download have FB implementation, it's crazy that a major software such as SMF doesn't. But anyway like I said I got your point already, no need to reiterate it.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

You say that you got the point....    except you keep bringing it up, and saying "I really think this is something that SMF should do"...   :P

So... find a mod author who is willing to support frequent, annoying changes to the APIs and get it done.
If he's really nice, he can donate the mod as an "official add-on"
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

I've been asked about this as a paid add-on because that's seriously the only way I'd contemplate doing it, is if people pay me for it (because then there's a valid reason for people to keep subscribing and thus paying me money)

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Kindred on October 23, 2014, 11:22:51 AM
You say that you got the point....    except you keep bringing it up, and saying "I really think this is something that SMF should do"...   :P

So... find a mod author who is willing to support frequent, annoying changes to the APIs and get it done.
If he's really nice, he can donate the mod as an "official add-on"
Except I don't really care about your opinion, actually, since you proved me many times you totally ignore mine. I say what I said in the OP and I hope someone will do it because I feel it would help with the recent Facebook spread (that I mostly use as a chat to chat with friends).

Quote from: Arantor on October 23, 2014, 11:27:26 AM
I've been asked about this as a paid add-on because that's seriously the only way I'd contemplate doing it, is if people pay me for it (because then there's a valid reason for people to keep subscribing and thus paying me money)
You know that I never encourage to do things for free but this time I feel it should be implemented for free... But ok if that's your POV then fine, don't do it xD

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

So you never encourage me to do things for free... and then proceed to do *exactly* that. Congratulations.

Also... I wouldn't encourage anyone to do this for free because all it creates is a *massive* workload in support over time, with helping people configure these things, and in maintenance. Why would anyone create something only to generate many many many more hours of work afterwards (vastly more than it would actually take to implement the thing in the first place, in fact)

Ninja ZX-10RR

I would have liked totally different answers from totally different people but since it's not going to happen I will lock this.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: