News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF - Walking Dead

Started by aksal, August 08, 2014, 10:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aksal

Lets face the reality, SMF is a Walking Dead, a Zombie of the Web 1.0 Era. The whole Forum Industry is broken, but SMF even more than the rest of its competitors.
SMF missed the Web 2.0 Era and now is missing the Social-Mobile Era.
The Staff and the Developers of SMF don't even see any problem here and this is very sad.
We need new paradigms for SMF and the forums in general, to be competitive and actual, because the internet needs the forums.
As SMF emerged from Yabb/Yabb SE a new forum should emerge from SMF.

Arantor

Sorry, I call BS. Bear in mind the team calls me Mr Doom for my attitude and even I think you're being overdramatic and full of it.

Burke ♞ Knight

aksal

What the heck are you talking about?!?!

You want social media? Go to FB or Twitter.
Or, do as you should with a forum, and get people to join.
SMF only makes the forum software, you have to make it into what you see fit, using what is available from the mod site.

You can make SMF better than any social media, if you know what you are doing. And clearly, it seems you do not, so I'm not even going to bother explaining how.

Suki

Quote from: aksal on August 08, 2014, 10:34:40 AM
the Developers of SMF don't even see any problem here and this is very sad.

Wow, you know me even better than I do!!!  can you please tell me whats my favorite color pretty please :P

Joking aside, nope, I don't recall ever saying there isn't any problems, in fact, I wouldn't be holding the position I hold now if I were to believe there wasn't any issues.  I mean, whats the point in been a developer at something that doens't need any further development right?

SMF is stuck in the past, sure, everyone knows that, every one has said it before. I know that already. You're pretty late to the party my friend ;)

Thing is, its not really that simple, you can't just say, hey let's build a new super awesome totally socially engaging forum!  Theres a lot of factors and I do mean a lot, so much that been a volunteer working on your free time gets put at the very end of that huge list.

Does you making remarks at whats been pretty obvious over the years is going to change anything?  Nope. It will just add yet another straw at the devs camel's back, so far I got plenty to chose from, all related to me not been competent/comitted enough. Geez, I must be some kind of freaky masochist seem that I get beaten all the time and I still come here everyday to keep on working on code.

On the other hand, not really a fan of the whole zombie related stuff, never liked the walking dead, zombieland was funny though, of course me been in love with Woody Harrelson has nothing to do with my overall perception of that movie :P
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Kindred

BTW: web 2.0 is dead as well...   it was a short lived fad.

and, as has already been said...
your perception is **WAY** off.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ARG01

Holy Cow aksal. Are you sure that you would not be more comfortable posting in the CraigsList R&R section? Just by reading your posts here I have come to the conclusion that nothing in this world could satisfy you, no matter how much work is put into it.

By interpreting your opinions, you seem to think that SMF is a dinosaur. Not true. SMF, even in 2.0 form gives the majority of SMF users exactly what they need to run a successful forum. Sure 2.1 will have a more modern feel but you simply don't have the patients to wait for a release.

You complain in the "Theme Preview" boards about a "Concept" not being completed within a time frame that is satisfactory to you. You do realize that the board is meant for members to show their ideas and is not a "Theme Release" board....right?
Members that post in that specific board are under absolutely no obligation to complete any design or concept showcased there.

You are NOT a designer, your are NOT a coder so in reality, you have absolutely no idea what it takes to build, rebuild and design a software and/or custom theme. You only get angry because you want it for free and you want it NOW! When you cant have it NOW, you get angry and resort to insults and hurtful statements.

Until you show us your design and code talents, your complaints are completely invalid in my opinion.

Believe it or not, not one single member here at SMF exists to satisfy your specific needs and desires.  Constantly attempting to start a flame war is not helping your case at all.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Biology Forums

Look at Facebook - the website has gone a long way since it was first released in the early millennium. It's quite different than what it was, but it has evolved slowly, even though they have a team of some of the best coders on the planet. Truth is, things evolve, and evolution is a slow process. You can't expect miracles in every release, and by all means, it's open source, so go contribute to it if you want. 

Kindred

lol... you think the facebook coders are the best on the planet?   nope. no way.

Also, their UX/UI team never actually LISTENS to the users.  They build things that must have been designed by drunk monkeys, in temrs of usability...    and they perform unauthorized social experiments on their users.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Along with a healthy dose of NIH syndrome.

live627

Quote from: SimpMode on August 08, 2014, 11:55:30 AM
Holy Cow aksal. Are you sure that you would not be more comfortable posting in the CraigsList R&R section? Just by reading your posts here I have come to the conclusion that nothing in this world could satisfy you, no matter how much work is put into it.

By interpreting your opinions, you seem to think that SMF is a dinosaur. Not true. SMF, even in 2.0 form gives the majority of SMF users exactly what they need to run a successful forum. Sure 2.1 will have a more modern feel but you simply don't have the patients to wait for a release.

You complain in the "Theme Preview" boards about a "Concept" not being completed within a time frame that is satisfactory to you. You do realize that the board is meant for members to show their ideas and is not a "Theme Release" board....right?
Members that post in that specific board are under absolutely no obligation to complete any design or concept showcased there.

You are NOT a designer, your are NOT a coder so in reality, you have absolutely no idea what it takes to build, rebuild and design a software and/or custom theme. You only get angry because you want it for free and you want it NOW! When you cant have it NOW, you get angry and resort to insults and hurtful statements.

Until you show us your design and code talents, your complaints are completely invalid in my opinion.

Believe it or not, not one single member here at SMF exists to satisfy your specific needs and desires.  Constantly attempting to start a flame war is not helping your case at all.
Well said, ARG. Well said.

ARG01

Quote from: Kindred on August 08, 2014, 04:54:04 PM
lol... you think the facebook coders are the best on the planet?   nope. no way.

Also, their UX/UI team never actually LISTENS to the users.  They build things that must have been designed by drunk monkeys, in temrs of usability...    and they perform unauthorized social experiments on their users.

Agreed. Facebook possibly has one of the most irresponsible, unmotivated and uncaring design/code staff on the planet. You can leave all of the feedback that you desire but I have a feeling that it all ends up in a catchall bin that not a one of them ever bother to visit. Facebook's "Security" and "Moderation" staff also leave a lot to be desired.

In short, if Facebook did not have a decent concept from day one, they would not exist today simply due to their lack of a decent, knowledgeable crew. Their software as it stands is mediocre at best and they can surely do better if they desired to actually do so.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Herman's Mixen

social media, big brother is watching you.... you argue .. so start make your own "NEEDS" as you seems too know better :P

do not crap out SMF as YOU want to see something, and even don't know how hard it can be sometimes to get it done..

prove yourself.
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Ninja ZX-10RR

There are tons of mods anyway to fit everyone's needs anyway so SMF it's pretty much customizable... Said by a guy who installed 90 of those... ;)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

JBlaze

Quote from: aksal on August 08, 2014, 10:34:40 AM
Lets face the reality, SMF is a Walking Dead, a Zombie of the Web 1.0 Era. The whole Forum Industry is broken, but SMF even more than the rest of its competitors.
The whole forum industry is broken, eh? Hmm... Why is it that I see numerous support community, gaming community, cars/trucks community, software community, RPG community, buy/sell/trade community, etc still using forums? Can you back up your statement with facts or sources?

Quote from: aksal on August 08, 2014, 10:34:40 AMSMF missed the Web 2.0 Era and now is missing the Social-Mobile Era.
The Social-Mobile Era does not, and should not, affect forums. Let's not forget that forums are nothing more than message boards at heart, with side features such as galleries, chats, etc. Social integration is something that should be done at the behest of each individual community, not forced to be included in base packages.

Quote from: aksal on August 08, 2014, 10:34:40 AMThe Staff and the Developers of SMF don't even see any problem here and this is very sad.
Oh, most are aware there is a problem. It's agreeing on what can be done to address the problem that is interrupting progress. Interesting that I don't see you contributing anything useful towards a project you claim to care so much about.

Quote from: aksal on August 08, 2014, 10:34:40 AMWe need new paradigms for SMF and the forums in general, to be competitive and actual, because the internet needs the forums.
I see nothing wrong with most popular forum platforms out there right now. You have options such as IPB and XenForo that are still using tried and true bases for forums, with just a sprinkle of modernization on the surface. While I agree that the free options like SMF, phpBB, MyBB, etc. haven't really been modernized on the surface, they still have the same core which is communication through messages organized into categories.

So far, I've seen nothing constructive in your posts. You've had nothing positive or constructive to say. I cannot even begin to take you seriously.
As SMF emerged from Yabb/Yabb SE a new forum should emerge from SMF.
[/quote]
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Night09

SMF has both good and bad points, which incidently is no different from any software available on the web.

If you want floorless perfect design with all the features and themes included you want  then get your wallet out or shut up.

Antes

Quote from: Night09 on August 09, 2014, 09:02:02 AM
SMF has both good and bad points, which incidently is no different from any software available on the web.

If you want floorless perfect design with all the features and themes included you want  then get your wallet out or shut up.

I'm interested in bad points, can you share the bad points you find? Maybe we can find some space in SMF 2.1 and fix them if general thinks that's an improvement for general usage.

Arantor

Except for any given audience, what you call a bad point may well be someone else's idea of a good point.

For example, I'm enthusiastic about not including Facebook logins by default in the software but others see this as a bad thing.

Night09

QuoteI'm interested in bad points, can you share the bad points you find? Maybe we can find some space in SMF 2.1 and fix them if general thinks that's an improvement for general usage.

Bad points are just my perspective on things and may not really be bad points to other users. I dont really think its my place to post a list of things I deem wrong or missing with SMF. 

Yes ‽  as I explain above. ;)

Arantor

Sure you can. That's kind of the difference between your approach and the OP's - it's fine to express a list of things you think could be done differently, as long as it's understood that no-one is under any obligation to fix them.

I've been critical of some of the team's attitude to future development before now, but until I put time into it myself, it's just an opinion that I hold, and nothing more than that.

Night09

If I thought it was important to say something I would, everything else I let slide.

I have ideas for SMF here  too but keep them to myself as they are just my opinion and dont really carry any relevance. I guess alot of people who have been round forafew years have ideas but keep shh.

Advertisement: