News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Convert MSSQL Forum to SMF

Started by cgeek, August 10, 2014, 04:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgeek

I am going to begin the process of writing a converter for moving my existing heavily customized MegaBBS/MS SQL Server based site to SMF.  My initial thought was to directly access my MS SQL Server DB from the convert script.  However, I can't find much in search about doing that.  Is there a converter someone can point me to that pulls data directly from MS SQL or maybe other SMF code that has done that type of integration?

I know another alternative is to convert MS SQL to MySQL and then run the converter but because of the size of my DB and the downtime to take a final cut and migrate it twice, this seemed easier.

Thanks in advance for any advice or direction!

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

cgeek

Thanks for the suggestion but it seems that requires FreeTDS which my hosting provider won't allow on the shared system.  They also won't allow an MS SQL setting to be enabled that is required by the MySQL migration software.  Seems this will be a much taller task than I anticipated.   :(

margarett

There are a number of alternatives, actually. None is direct, unfortunately.

You can always deploy a xampp install in your PC and in it, use mssql ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Herman's Mixen

Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Advertisement: