Include a post through SSI

Started by brigcam, August 14, 2014, 01:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brigcam

Hello, and sorry if this was already asked!

Is there a way to include a specific post in a SSI-like way?

Something like (for example)

<?php ssi_post($topic 1$message 1)>

What I want to do is to pick specific posts from my SMF forum and php-include them in blog posts in WordPress. Similar to how articles work in Simple Portal, but using WordPress.

Is that possible?

Kindred

It is possible...   However, not without some recoding..
And most of all! there are conflicts between variables in Wordpress and smf that will make this a nightmare.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

brigcam

i see... could you point me in the right direction anyway, so i could check by myself if/how to do it?

thanks!

Arantor

I seriously wouldn't encourage doing it, adding to what Kindred said. Aside from the collisions, you're also loading tens of thousands of lines of code to fetch a small piece of data, and if the post isn't already visible to guests, you're *really* going to have problems.

brigcam

the guest thing wouldn't be a problem, as I'd "republish" just public posts

about loading many lines of code and the problem with variables, well... too bad, but I'd like to try anyway, as my aim is to have a community-driven blog

i use wordpress because it has some nice skins, i tried simple portal (which has an "articles" function which is exactly what I need) but its appearance... maybe there are some nice skins around?

Arantor

So why not just copy/paste them?

If the community is a big part of it, then just going with the forum is a good start, but without knowing what sort of skin you're looking for, it's hard to know what to suggest for a recommendation.

brigcam

copy/pasting would split the conversation on such topics on a double channel... there'd be the conversation on the blog and the conversation on the forum, of course i could disable comments on the blog, but it'd not be very elegant

plus having the forum post embedded in the blog would mean any change in the post would be reflected in the topic, which would be a nice thing

as the kind of skin i'm looking for, so far in WP i've found the one which is on now:
hxxp:www.freeplaying.it/ [nonactive] (this is the website)

if you try to click around, you'll notice that, apart the podcast posts, everything else is just a front that redirects to specific smf posts... not so difficult to achieve thanks to a plugin that lets you specify a custom link for any blog post. it works, but i'd like it better if the posts would be integrated in the blog instead.

anyway, about the skin, idea is to have a main feed of content (mainly podcast episodes, since it's a podcast website) plus various boxed sections with feeds coming from the various forum sections

current theme is not perfect, as I'd like to have more visual styles for the various feed boxes (bigger/more important ones and smaller/less important ones)... a good and maybe better alternative would be this
one:
hxxp:themeforest.net/item/grimag-ad-optimized-magazine/6502965 [nonactive]

is there anything like in the portal solutions for smf?

of course i know that in theory i can make any kind of skin i want for smf, but that would mean putting time and effort in coding such skin, and since WP has (I guess) a much bigger themes-making community, I guess the most efficient solution (for me) is to adapt SMF to WP (and its skins)

Arantor

Quotecopy/pasting would split the conversation on such topics on a double channel... there'd be the conversation on the blog and the conversation on the forum, of course i could disable comments on the blog, but it'd not be very elegant

And the solution you asked for would do *exactly* the same thing in the first place. You don't want to transplant a post, you want to project an entire topic through the blog, when you might as well just use the forum in the first place!

I hope it works out though.

brigcam

yes i know, of course next step would be to bridge the rest of the topic as comments... so the blog would be nothing more than a fancy frontend for some selected topics

again, i know it would be much simpler and straightforward to do this by using a portal mod, but again, by what i've seen, the skin/themes choice is not as rich as the one in wp, which is what i'm aiming for

Arantor

I'm not the person to ask about that. I'm only the guy who ported WP themes to SMF for my own sites, so that the underlying SMF site is what does the work, rather than WP. http://crossingoverland.com/ for example, a WP theme but just SMF software under the hood.

brigcam

looks nice! do you use a portal mod with smf?

Arantor

Not any of the off-the-shelf ones, but then again knocking up a crude portal from scratch is a couple of hours work for me. It's not like I need to customise it from a shiny admin interface.

Point I'm making is that it's entirely doable just with a little bit of effort, and to be honest it's less effort to do that than it is to get WP and SMF to play nice, and you don't have to maintain two separate systems.

Advertisement: