Displayed User Information

Started by seinc, August 15, 2014, 12:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seinc

Hey all,

I seem to be having an issue with my forums. I ran a pilot with about 10 users.  All reported that it said they were logged in as someone else at some point in the first 20 minutes they were on.  When they clicked another page/topic/ect, it would reset their information back to the proper details, but that one page of showing someone else's details is troubling, even though it does fix itself upon the next page load.

Has anyone else heard of this issue or have an idea what could possibly fix it?

If any other information is needed, please let me know.

EDIT - Was asked for version and Mods:

I am running 2.0.8

The only mod I have is Default Membergroup by Runic, however, the issue occurred prior to the installation of that mod.

All replies will be greatly appreciated,

Seinc

Mstcool

Weird.

Try clearing your forum cache and tell them to clear their browser cache as well. :p

EDIT:

If that doesnt work, then

seinc

Quote from: Mstcool on August 15, 2014, 12:53:44 AM
Weird.

Try clearing your forum cache and tell them to clear their browser cache as well. :p

EDIT:

If that doesnt work, then

I tried that an had no luck.

I am running 2.0.8

The only mod I have is Default Membergroup by Runic, however, the issue occurred prior to the installation of that mod.

Mstcool

Does it happen with all themes or just one or two?

seinc

Quote from: Mstcool on August 15, 2014, 01:11:41 AM
Does it happen with all themes or just one or two?

It happens with the out-of-the-box Curve theme as well as the custom theme Reseller. It also occurred with the Core theme.

kat

When you say that they seem to be logged-in as someone else, what do you mean, exactly?

Were they all logged-in as some, specific, member? What made it seem that way?

seinc

Quote from: K@ on August 15, 2014, 06:44:46 AM

When you say that they seem to be logged-in as someone else, what do you mean, exactly?

Were they all logged-in as some, specific, member? What made it seem that way?

What do I mean: They were logged in as themselves, but at random times, the label displaying who they were logged in as at the top, as well as the avatar changed to another members

What made it seem that way: As I said, the label and avatar changed to that of another member. There was not on specific member that it would change to. For example, I clicked home once and it displayed me as my other admin. Another time, it displayed me as another user on our forum completely unrelated to my role.

I hope this helps.

kat

Wow. When it comes to "Weird", this one must beat the lot!

I'm clutching at straws, here...

When you see this other avatar, click on the "Profile" link, in the nav bar. I'm hoping that that'll still take you to your own profile.

If it doesn't, we have something that's even weirder going on...

Mstcool

Quote from: K@ on August 15, 2014, 08:21:16 AM

When you see this other avatar, click on the "Profile" link, in the nav bar. I'm hoping that that'll still take you to your own profile.

Hey, its easier to get into peoples account without hackin' now, eh? XD

Kindred

What are your settings for cookies and sessions?

Are the users logging in from separate computers/locations?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

seinc

Quote from: K@ on August 15, 2014, 08:21:16 AM

When you go to another page, it will re-display the proper information. So if you navigate to home and the issue occurs and it seems as if you are logged in as another user, then attempt to navigate to their profile, it directs you to your profile as it should.

Quote from: Kindred on August 15, 2014, 09:53:06 AM
What are your settings for cookies and sessions?

Are the users logging in from separate computers/locations?

My cookies and sessions were defaulted when we first noticed it. I played with them a little and the error continued, so I set back to default again.

The users are world wide. I have a couple from Europe and others spread across the US. None are sharing a computer/logging from the same.

Kindred

What were the actual settings?

Don't assume "default" means anything...

Also, are you using MySQL?
Did you use an installer from your host or did you use the standard install package from this site?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

seinc

Here are the settings I have tried.

Cookie Name: SMFCookie362
Default Login cookies length: 30
Enable local storage of cookies: No
Use subdomain independent cookies: No
Use database driven sessions: No
Allow browsers to go back to cached pages: No
Seconds before an unused session timeout: 2400

Enable local storage of cookies: Yes
Use database driven sessions: Yes
Allow browsers to go back to cached pages: Yes

Enable local storage of cookies: Yes
Use database driven sessions: Yes
Allow browsers to go back to cached pages: No

I am using MySQL for my database.

I used the standard install package from this site.

And thank you very much for the responses.

seinc

Some additional information that may or may not be helpful:

More often than not, the Logout button does not work
When you log in and are redirected, sometimes it doesn't log you in, but if you load another page, you are logged in. Then if you go right back "Home", it does not show you logged in.

As I said, not sure if it is relevant, but it seems to be to me.

Thank you.

Steve

Maybe a fresh install Kindred? (kinda just thinking out loud as it were)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

By home, I assume that you mean the forum boardindex?

A clean install might be in order...  And probably a cookie name change.

Database driven sessions, generally, should be on.
Local cookies, generally, should be off.
Слaва
Украинi

seinc

Yes, the main page with all threads/sections shown

I am willing to give a fresh install a try if that is what you believe I need to do. Is there a way to do so without losing all current posts?

Thanks

Kindred

See the FAQ article on loading a fresh set of files....
Слaва
Украинi

seinc

Will do. I'll let you know the result. Thank you very much for your help thus far.

seinc

The clean install did not fix the problem. Are there any other settings you need to know specifics on that could be causing this?

Advertisement: