News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Migrating a Joomla PhpBB Forum to SimpleMachines

Started by Kotsolis, August 18, 2014, 08:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kotsolis

Hello, I own a Joomla Game website, in fact it's one of the biggest in my country. My Joomla site is connected (for 5 years now) with a Phpbb forum via a p8pbb bridge . It has 31.000 registered users and  140778 posts so quite a huge database I must say.

Questions:
1)How easy would it be to migrate the Phpbb forum to Simple Machines? Are there any Bridge programs so that users will maintain the same Login in both Site and Forum?
2)Can I fully customize the forum to look like the image below?
3)Do you use pre-made extensions for "Latest posts" and "Latest New Topics opened" ?
4)Do you have a pre-made extension for rating users in auctions? We have an auction forum for buying/selling games.
5)Finally, the most important question: Yesterday I run the "Reparse BBcode command" in the "Support Toolkit" in my Phpbb forum and it crashed. After that all of the CSS customization changes were gone and my style returned to the default theme. I tried to re-upload the "Styles" folder but this made the forum not working, and right now my developer says that the MySQL is disconnected from the files (how, I really don't know). I asked 2-3 developers but they can't fix it. My question is whether devs from SimpleMachines.org can help me to take the mysql database in this situation and migrate it to SimpleMachines, as well as bridge it to Joomla. And I'd be glad to pay/donate anything because Iam in a very difficult situation as every hour that passes I lose users! I really can't find any developer to do this job.

Please respond to me and also send me any contact details so that we can get in touch.

Thank you.

margarett

Howdy.

There are converters from phpBB to SMF, yes. Converts are usually tricky so a test run to "feel" how things work is advisable. In your case, since there's a bridge in place, it certainly requires extra attention. 

Now, as far as I know, there is no public, supported and current bridge to Joomla. So if this is a show stopper for you, I'm afraid we can't help you...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kotsolis

Quote from: margarett on August 18, 2014, 11:55:51 AM
Howdy.

There are converters from phpBB to SMF, yes. Converts are usually tricky so a test run to "feel" how things work is advisable. In your case, since there's a bridge in place, it certainly requires extra attention. 

Now, as far as I know, there is no public, supported and current bridge to Joomla. So if this is a show stopper for you, I'm afraid we can't help you...
Without bridge Iam afraid I can't use the forum. All people will complain if they have 2 seperate accounts , one in site and one in forum.
Are you planning to make a bridge in the future?

Thanks.

margarett

I understand that. I would also complain if I had to use 2 accounts, honestly.

There are portals as SMF mods that can perform most of regular CMS's work. But of course, to migrate your content to another system would be a PITA...
The biggest advantage of portals is that they share whichever theme SMF is using, so even the graphics part is automatically done, no need to work out colors and images and stuff.

All this to say that there hasn't really a demand for bridges as people tend to be happy with portals. For the same reason, I'm not sure anyone is/will be working on a working bridge... I don't know enough to create it...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: