News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Database Error

Started by andrewill, August 18, 2014, 02:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kat

Well, if the settings I mentioned, above, are right, it might be best to have a word with your host.

andrewill

Also, I was wondering If I could change my website without losing my users and topics?

I mean Imma register a new domain, and I wanna restore my old forums to it without losing anything.

Is this possible?

PS:- I have a backed up .rar file but I can't find it in my windows. Do you know how its named?

kat

Yes, it's quite easy, really. But, you need the database. Everything else can be rebuilt, from scratch, if required. Not the database. You MUST get that. If you can get the software backed-up, too, so much the better.

For details on backing-up and restoring, click my sig. There's a page on the wiki about moving hosts/domains, too, I believe.

Your backup will be a tar/gz (.tgz or .gz), or a zip. I've never seen a rar backup, thus far. (That doesn't mean it can't happen, of course. But, tar, gz and zip are in the public domain. I believe rar is still proprietary).

Depending on how you backed-up, the file might well be named "backup blahblah.gz".

andrewill

I found and extracted my backup file, now I have a .sql file.

Where do I upload that?

kat

andrewill

And....

Quote1. Look for the section labeled "Databases".
2. Under that heading, you'll find "phpMyAdmin".
3. If you click that, you'll see a page that might, at first, seem somewhat scary.
4. It IS. Be careful what you do, there, because you can SERIOUSLY break things.
5. Look at the left-hand pane and you'll see the name(s) of your databases.
6. Click on one of them and you'll taken to another scary page.
7. On there, you'll see some tabs, along the top. The one you want is labeled "Export".
8. When you click on that, you'll get yet another page.
9. Under "View dump (schema) of database", you'll see "Export".
10. Just below that, click "Select all".

--------------------------------

EDIT:- Never mind, I selected all from the home page and exported it.
11. At the bottom of the page, ensure that "Save as file" is checked.
12. Then, click "Go".

---------

So I open a random database on the left hand side of phpMyadmin. The random table was smf_approval_queue.

After its page opened up, I clicked export.

10. Just below that, click "Select all". >> I Don't See A "Select All"

And When I Save It I Get A .sql of that particular table.

ISn't there a way to get all in one?

kat

Go to cPanel and look for the section labelled "Files". Click on the "Backups" icon.

In the new page that opens, you'll see "Restore a MySQL Database". Click "Choose" to navigate to your database backup, then "Upload" to start the restoration.

That does the entire database, which is what that sql file is.

When it's in place and the software's there, you'll need to do this:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php

andrewill

Ugh.

There's no restore button

kat

andrewill

Nowpe!

Will it be the same effect if I do it through phpMyAdmin after installing SMF?

kat

Yeah. You can import the entire database, from there, too. Details are on that same page of the wiki.

andrewill

Well, All's Good!

Only That I lost All My Members And Topics :/

Any way to fix this?

Justyne

Did the tables messages, topics and members not import? When you look in the database is something actually in them.

Sounds like you might not have managed to upload them.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

andrewill

It did.

New Forums:- www.la-crp.tk

Justyne

If the database imported as you said this this should not be happening. Are you sure you have your SMF pointed to the correct database?

andrewill

Members Are Restored. Phew!

But the topics aint.

Justyne

have you tried recounting all totals and statistics and running the repair function?

Kindred

well, look in the new database.

What does the smf_messages table look like?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

andrewill

Its empty.

Btw, I have over a 100 users. But in the statics near the "Who's online" it says 4. (The 4 New Registered)

Justyne

Then either your backup did not import or you have set your SMF up to use the wrong database.

Advertisement: