News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Additional Membergroups Stars/Badges SMF 2.0.8

Started by Tommy-G, August 18, 2014, 08:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy-G

Hello! I'm looking for a mod that supports multiple membergroups for one user that's compatible with SMF version 2.0.8. I've seen many versions of this mod, none of them are compatible though.

This is how it looks on my forum:

That's one membergroup. I want to make that group only one green block, then have the rest of their post-based badges there, upon any other group they're in. Another forum I attend does it, and the owner actually created a mod for it but sadly it's not 2.0.8 compatible.

Example shot from that forum:

I want it to be similar to this, having one primary group and color, but having all your other post-based stars.

I don't know if this exists for 2.0.8 already, if so i'm sorry.

Diego Andrés

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Tommy-G

I tried the MissAllSunday mod. I installed the ID's mod as well to try and make more than one group appear but it doesn't work. it shows both group titles, but not icons. i want to make the appointed groups have 1 badge, then have the post-based badges in addition to that one appointed badge.

Suki

You need to make sure that the groups you want to show does have an icon
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Tommy-G

All the icons are i want to show with the groups are the default badges, so they are there.

For example, as a test. I unchecked hiding post-based titles while in groups, took a member that was assigned to the group contributor (which is one badge) changed a post-based group with 2 default badges set for 10 posts, and did a test with a user, and he only had the contributor 1 green badge. I wanted his name to remain green, one of the post-based stars to be the group color (contributor) and one of the post-based stars to still show.

Here's how it currently looks:

Administrator - Number of star images: 1. (The red block)

Photo manipulation (poorly done, lol) of how i want it too look:

Acquaintance - Number of star images: 2 (default blocks.) The one red group block took up the post based block, but also allowed the other one to appear. I'd like to be able to do this for several groups if possible., but also with hiding post group title off, so it only shows one primary group (whichever star is first) then the rest assigned

Suki

That indicates that the edits on your template files weren't done.

By default the mod shows the membergroups vertically but if you want to show them horizontally along with the main membergroup then a template edit will be required anyway, attach your Themes/your theme/Display.template, PersonalMesage.template and Profile.template   if the theme you are currently using doesnt have that file, attahc the one form the default theme.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Tommy-G

attach them to the mod? I checked my current theme and it doesn't contain any of those 3 files, should i just copy/transfer them to my current theme? sorry, i kinda misunderstood you a bit.

sorry about the late response, been busy all day.  :(

Suki

Tommy-G

Suki

Ok, just to make things clear, you want the additional membergroups horizontally, below the avatar, the first one been the main membergroup right?

Does your aditional member groups only have one icon or does it have more than 1 icon?

Tommy-G

I plan on setting all the member groups i have to assign (contrib, global mod, mod, admin) etc. 1 icon, then having the post icons go from 1-6 icons. Since the icon amount increases with post amount.

Yes horizantally under the avatar with the assigned group first.

Suki

Ok, before doing the changes on all the files, lets do some test on the Display one.

You did have the code on your file, this means you need to doubole check the paths for the images you're using for your membergroups, you need to make sure your membergroups have a valid image.

Try this Display.template file, it has the primary group image changed to below the avatar and it will print any additional membergroups horizontally next to the primary one but then again, you need to amke sure your member groups all have valid images.

Tommy-G

Thank you very much, the placement looks much better! And knowing it works is even more reassuring, i'm pretty sure i'm still doing something wrong though, sorry for all the confusion.  :-\  After setting it i'm still only seeing the one assigned block. Since I have the most posts myself i tested it with my own account. I qualify for the second post-based rank which means I would have two blocks plus the admin block and i'm only seeing the admin block. I think i'm not assigning the images right, it's using the default star.gif from the theme so i'm not sure what the issue is, how do i properly check this part?

Also, in the new display.php is there a way for me to edit the titles themselves to be below by the rank? (Preferably right above the badges below the avatar), then center the usernames and fill the gap between the avatar and username?

Sorry for so many questions, thanks for all the help you've given me!

Biology Forums

Suki,  what happened to your cool website, the cool theme you had going?

Suki

Quote from: Tommy-G on August 21, 2014, 10:04:09 PM
Thank you very much, the placement looks much better! And knowing it works is even more reassuring, i'm pretty sure i'm still doing something wrong though, sorry for all the confusion.  :-\  After setting it i'm still only seeing the one assigned block. Since I have the most posts myself i tested it with my own account. I qualify for the second post-based rank which means I would have two blocks plus the admin block and i'm only seeing the admin block. I think i'm not assigning the images right, it's using the default star.gif from the theme so i'm not sure what the issue is, how do i properly check this part?

Also, in the new display.php is there a way for me to edit the titles themselves to be below by the rank? (Preferably right above the badges below the avatar), then center the usernames and fill the gap between the avatar and username?

Sorry for so many questions, thanks for all the help you've given me!

OK, first thing you need to do is getting your image urls right, for example, the url for the little yellow square on this site is:  http://media.simplemachinesweb.com/smf/default/images/star.gif

On your theme it should be something like:

myforum.com/Themes/name of your theme/images/name of your image.extension

where  myforum.com is obiously the domain for oyur forum
name of your theme  its the actual name of the theme you're currently using.
name of your image is, well, the name of your image ::)

You need to make sure you have al your images uploaded to that folder: /Themes/name of your theme/images/

Once you have that, the other thing you need to do is assign membergroups on the mod's admin panel. For this you need to know the membergroup's IDs you want to use. when you edit a membergroup, take a look at the url of that page, it should have something like ID=1 at the end, that "1" its the ID for that specific group.

Go to the mod's admin panel and write the membergroup IDs you want to show, using a comma to separate them, for example:

The final thing you need to take into account is to be sure a member has that membergroup as secondary, the mod will only show the icon IF the user has any of the groups you specified in the mod's admin panel.

Quote from: Shuban on August 21, 2014, 10:32:57 PM
Suki,  what happened to your cool website, the cool theme you had going?

I was building a new theme, then my lappy exploded and lost everything, haven't have time or the motivation to work on it again :(

Tommy-G

Ok. I followed that pretty well. When I changed the images though, then they didn't show at all. I got this:

Even though the link is right.

http://mugenflowzone.com/Themes/Gray/images/starmod.gif

Is there a certain dimension they have to be or something? I checked my public_Html and the images folder in my current theme and all icons are there.

Suki

Tommy-G

Suki

I can see your primary groups just fine.

There isn't any additional groups,  that would indicate you still haven't write the membergroup IDs on the mod's admin panel.  Do you already have the membergroups IDs you want to appear as secondary?

As for the member group titles, it will be complicated to show them below each icon, the icons are pretty small and the emmbergroup tiles just won't have enough space.

Tommy-G

I'm using just "Star.gif/Staradmin.gif" etc. Which just using these filenames themselves work fine, but the actual theme URL causes what happened in the screenshot above.

Yes, there's 10 ID's total, I entered them all spaced out between commas.

Ok, that's fine. Is there a way for me to remove the rank text completely, avoid having a gap between user names and avatars and then center my usernames?

Advertisement: