When to Lock a Topic or make a Post Read Only

Started by Frobisher, August 20, 2014, 02:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frobisher

As an Administrator of a Private Forum, I have a particularly Category where I have Locked all the Topics for one specific Board. The reason is that the Posts on that Board are informational only and I want to prevent Users replying. This of course works. However, there is the facility for making Posts Read only.

Am I approaching this in the correct way?

Would someone please explain the difference between Locking and Read Only.

Thank you.
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

br360

Having that specific board be read only means that only admins can post in that board by default- and all others not admin can only read the posts. Changing the permissions of the board to read only is a lot easier than having to lock each thread in a board individually.

Frobisher

Quote from: br360 on August 20, 2014, 02:38:10 PM
Changing the permissions of the board to read only is a lot easier than having to lock each thread in a board individually.

That is what I thought but I cannot see how to do it.
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

br360

Go to Admin>>Forum>>Boards>>Modify Boards.

Click the modify link to the right of the board you want to modify; then where you see Permission Profile:, choose the read only option.

Frobisher

OK. Made that Board Read Only. Unlocked all the Posts. Logged out of Admin and logged in as User. No Reply button on the postings (Read Only). Mission accomplished.

As an ex Tutor of mine once said, "Everything is easy when you know how".

Many thanks for you prompt help.
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

br360

Mstcool

Quote from: Frobisher on August 20, 2014, 02:17:15 PM
As an Administrator of a Private Forum, I have a particularly Category where I have Locked all the Topics for one specific Board. The reason is that the Posts on that Board are informational only and I want to prevent Users replying. This of course works. However, there is the facility for making Posts Read only.

Am I approaching this in the correct way?

Would someone please explain the difference between Locking and Read Only.

Thank you.

Locked can be used for many different reasons.

Examples:
1. posting an announcement, but don't want any replies
2. Locking a thread because no more replies are necessary
3. Topic is spam
4. The thread is solved (meaning a problem is solved)

and many other reasons

Making a read only board is used so that staffs can post stuff in it for users so that can only read them and not reply to them. Mostly used for announcements. :P

But I never used that option in my life lol. :P

I just made by announcement board a reply only board and I individually lock threads that I want people to read only. :P

Advertisement: