Confused about Member Groups and Permissions

Started by MumblingFumbler, August 20, 2014, 02:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MumblingFumbler

I created a new member group called 'Staff', and populated it with 3 members.
I created a new board called 'Staff Only', and gave 'Regular User' permissions to group 'Staff' (and no others)
When I log in as one of the 3 members of 'Staff', I can see the 'Staff Only' board, but no other boards that regular users can access.
When I become a member of Staff, aren't I still also a member of 'Regular Members', which would give me access to the same boards
I had before I became a member of 'Staff'?
To get it to work, I had to go back under membergroups and assign all of the boards to 'Staff'. This doesn't seem right.
If I create a new board, I would think I should have automatic access to it by virtue of the fact I am a member of both 'Regular Members' and 'Staff'.

Also, if 'Regular Members', 'Guests', 'Global Moderator', 'Newbie', 'Jr. Member', ... are groups, why don't they appear in the membergroups list?
They may be automatically managed, and not directly editable, but they should still appear in the list with modification functions disabled.

Thanks for your help,
MumFum

Mstcool

Just because you are a member of the regular members group, doesn't mean that you have access to every board. If that was the case, then regular members would have access to staff boards. So, if you create a new board, nope, you shouldn't have automatic access to it. For every board you create, you have to choose which groups can see them.

Edit: you seem to have messed up the permissions for the staff group.

Edit: All boards don't get assigned to a new membergroup so that if you were to create a group for regular members, they wouldn't have access to staff boards. So thats why you have to choose all boards for the staff group. :p

Mstcool

Quote from: MumblingFumbler on August 20, 2014, 02:20:18 PM

Also, if 'Regular Members', 'Guests', 'Global Moderator', 'Newbie', 'Jr. Member', ... are groups, why don't they appear in the membergroups list?
They may be automatically managed, and not directly editable, but they should still appear in the list with modification functions disabled.

What do you mean they don't appear in the membergroups list?

Where? In the admin panel?

kat

Welcome to the ol' forum, Mumbles!

If you look at the board's permissions, does the membergroup have access to it?

The entire permissions system is a bit complicated, when you first start with it, I'm afraid. Maybe creating some permission profiles would help you, with this...? Have a look at...

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Permissions

...especially section five.

Illori

if you add a primary group to a user they are no longer in regular members group, so you need to add the other boards to their list they can access.

MumblingFumbler

Quote from: Illori on August 20, 2014, 05:19:24 PM
if you add a primary group to a user they are no longer in regular members group, so you need to add the other boards to their list they can access.
Thanks, Illori. You are the only one who seemed to understand the question and provide a correct explanation.
Is it not possible for the same user to be a member of two groups, or is it just the case that when you 'promote' a 'regular member' to
another member group, that member is no longer a member of 'Regular Members'? Most permission systems allow the same user to be
a member of multiple groups.

Another question. I turned on the Calendar option. Why don't my admin-created membergroups appear in the list of groups to which I can
assign calendar permissions? The only groups that appear are 'Guests', 'Regular Members', and 'Global Moderator'. I want to assign permissions
only to my 'Staff' membergroup.

Thanks for your help,
MumFum

Mstcool

The regular member group exists because every member has to be part of one group at least. It doesn't have any special permissions or anything. So when you promote someone, they get the permissions of the group that they are part of. You can assign two groups by going to their profile and choosing another group from the "additional group" field.

As for the Calendar, remove every other groups permission and only assign that permission to the staff going by going to Admin>members>permissions

Kindred

Right... The regular members is a catch-all group so that members without any assigned group can be assigned permissions.

As said, you can assign a user to as many groups as you have...  One primary and then additional groups as secondary groups.

However...   Once a member is in ANY actual group, that user is no longer in the regular member group.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Mstcool

Just think of the regular members group as a temporary spot for users until a home is found for them.

Advertisement: