News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Allow moderators to issue warnings.

Started by Media-Bay, August 20, 2014, 04:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Media-Bay

Hey

I was wondering is there anyway to allow a moderator to issue warnings. My moderators only moderator certain boards so I don't really want to make them global moderators. Just want to keep basic moderator on a board but can issue warnings.

I have tried creating a new member group which allows them to issue warning but then allows them to moderator all boards

Arantor

No, there isn't a way to do that without creating a new group that all board moderators are part of.

kat

There's an individual permission, labelled "Issue warnings to members". If you put all of your moderators in a new membergroup, you could give that group that permission.

You're getting into the murky waters of "Permission profiles", here. I have to confess that that side of things gives me the willies. Have a look here... http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Permissions

...especially section five.

Ninjad by someone who knows WAY more about this, than I do. :)

Arantor

It's not a permission profile thing, actually. It's related to how the board moderator permissions stuff works.

You see, board moderators only have their permissions while they are in those boards. Warnings are not inside boards, to the point where board mod permissions simply wouldn't be loaded or checked for issuing a warning.

kat

Yeah, I understand. :)

I'm not sure that giving moderators powers of making official warning is, actually, a terribly good idea. Some people can get rather heavy-handed, with that kinda thing. They can give verbal warnings, either in open forum, or privately, anyway.

I think "official" warnings should always be done at the behest of the admin(s), myself.

Arantor

Yup. I've never personally felt the need to give board moderators warnings; if I don't trust them enough to be moderators everywhere, I probably don't trust them to be giving warnings either.

kat

I find that a quick "Do anything, like that, again, and you're history" generally does the trick. ;)

Arantor

Yes but I have a lot of trust issues going on.

kat

Advertisement: