Possible to use a custom field (email address) for newsletter?

Started by Cucumbers, August 20, 2014, 10:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cucumbers

Hi folks,

What I am looking to do:
Have a custom user field with the "valid email" input mask, and use that input field as the address to send newsletters to.

Why I want to do this:
This field, for my forum, will be used by a small amount of people (approx 50-100 users) and will be used with cell phone numbers with carrier gateways (e.g., [email protected] for verizon) to receive small, instant (or near instant) notifications via email to sms. I want to have it so I will only send to a specific usergroup (of which, members can join/leave at their leisure).

What I think needs to happen:
I -think- I need to find the code for the newsletter, and change out which database column it queries (instead of the default e-mail, set it to the custom field?).

Is there a mod perhaps, or an easier way to go about doing this? Any tips on where I can start?

Thanks! :)

Jade Elizabeth

That sounds like a really awesome idea! I have no idea how you'd go about it. It might be worth making a custom form for it that grabs those emails from the database because I think it could possibly be a bit hard to do in the newsletters section (in which case it matters not where they are stored - as a custom field or otherwise - though custom field is probably easiest).

Additionally you could run a query to grab a list of the addresses yourself and do it manually if you wanted.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Cucumbers

Yea, I'm pulling together a small team of 3 of us here to try and figure this out - any clue on where all the newsletter code is stored at?

I could just grab all the addresses from the db, but this system needs to be usable by several folks who have no clue what SQL is, and the "list" of addresses it generates should be as up to date as possible, as users will come and go on and off the list.

I noticed my thread was moved over to a new section - apologies to the mods! and thanks for putting it in the right place!

Jade Elizabeth

You could have a query that updates a list on page load. I dunno how to do that yet, I'm still learning :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Advertisement: