Random Popups?

Started by Mstcool, August 21, 2014, 02:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mstcool

Hey guys,

Today is the second time I had this pop up. When I refreshed the page, it sent me to lpmxp2126.com and told me to download a video player installer. Obviously I didn't. Now, it maybe a virus on my computer...but this popup only showed up when I refreshed an SMF page. Not any other page. So, did this happen to others as well?

Also, the site is becoming very slow, all my other sites load up quickly but this doesn't. I tried this site from different places (e.g library) and its still slow.....

kat

It's been fast enough, for me, for the last three hours, or so. No popups, either. Although, my popup killer's quite good. :)

I turned it off, though, just to check, and got nothing.

I can only think that you've been nobbled.

ARG01

No pop-ups for me.  Site seems to load normal as well. ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Shambles

Could be something in someone's signature.

Next time it happens try getting the source of the page you're on (right click > view source, etc)

Mstcool

^ good idea. Thanks! :)

And idk, maybe its sometime on my end but it only happen on this site and not on any other site. :p

br360

Quote from: Mstcool on August 21, 2014, 04:15:10 PM
^ good idea. Thanks! :)

And idk, maybe its sometime on my end but it only happen on this site and not on any other site. :p

No, it's happened to me here today too. I just figured I had accidentally clicked on one of the banner ads that redirected me.

Mstcool

Thank god I ain't the only one. Yeah, thats what I thought at first. Maybe I clicked on it again today and didn't realize. Anyways, thanks guys! :)

live627

Mstcool

The ad was telling me to download a video player installer for chrome

Arantor

Rogue ad might explain it since I added this site to the list of things I don't want ads for - and I haven't seen anything.

Mstcool

Kindred

yeah.... I got it once...  and assumed that I had extra clicked on the advert/banner before the page fully loaded...

if it happens again, please note what page is happened on and what banner ad was showing?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Mstcool

LiroyvH

Please keep in mind we have ads displaying both on top as bottom, so please do check both. :)
I've caught Flash ads displayed by Google Adsense doing crap before, tried disabling them but god forbid it actually does what it's told.

If you can, I'd be very interested to see the Chrome console "network" tab output; but for that I think you'd have to constantly been capturing as it can't do it *after* it happened. :(

I haven't had the fortune to catch it myself.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Mstcool

Quote from: CoreISP on August 22, 2014, 12:09:46 PM
Please keep in mind we have ads displaying both on top as bottom, so please do check both. :)
I've caught Flash ads displayed by Google Adsense doing crap before, tried disabling them but god forbid it actually does what it's told.

If you can, I'd be very interested to see the Chrome console "network" tab output; but for that I think you'd have to constantly been capturing as it can't do it *after* it happened. :(

I haven't had the fortune to catch it myself.

I can try for the network thing. But how do I open the output tab?

Night09

First both who have had the popup check for spyware/malware on your machines. Ive seen this happen on likes of BBC sites that do not have any ads of any kind. You may just have hit an ad by accident but better safe than sorry.

Second install flashblock for your browser version. All flash ads have to be clicked before they can open, same for video ect. Ideal for sites with good content surrounded by ******!

LiroyvH

We'd rather block it at the source than having the need for people to install blockers. :)

Night09

Quote from: CoreISP on August 22, 2014, 07:28:53 PM
We'd rather block it at the source than having the need for people to install blockers. :)

True but thats based on the assumption this will be the only site anyone visits. ;)

Mstcool

Quote from: Night09 on August 23, 2014, 01:12:47 PM
Quote from: CoreISP on August 22, 2014, 07:28:53 PM

True but thats based on the assumption this will be the only site anyone visits. ;)

Not really. They just mean that not everyone can install blockers and not everyone will. So, its better to remove the shizz from the site rather than having people install blockers.

LiroyvH

I guess there's something to both sides.
We indeed don't want bad ads being served at all, but it's also good to arm yourself against it in general on the browser side.

Advertisement: