Is it possible to have two domain name with one Forum

Started by -Captain Ghost-, August 22, 2014, 05:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Captain Ghost-

Hello support team
If my title is not clear to you i will show what i want to know with example
Ex:-Suppose i have a forum with address mysite.com so is it possible to have mysite.net with same forum.

Hope you understood my question.
Sorry if i posted in wrong board

Thanks

Jeremy M.

Quote from: -Captain Ghost- on August 22, 2014, 05:20:15 AM
Hello support team
If my title is not clear to you i will show what i want to know with example
Ex:-Suppose i have a forum with address mysite.com so is it possible to have mysite.net with same forum.

Hope you understood my question.
Sorry if i posted in wrong board

Thanks

I think it is. It would be a sub-domain i do believe.

Justyne

Sorta, ish. You can set up one domain to redirect to the other, but SMFs internal stuff doesn't support two URLs.

You can set things up so the .net automatically goes to the .com or vice versa through your cpanel or whatever equivalent your host may have.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Burke ♞ Knight

Quote from: StormChaser83 on August 22, 2014, 05:23:51 AM
I think it is. It would be a sub-domain i do believe.

No it would not be a sub-domain.
I have no idea where you got that, but what the OP wants is to have 2 DOMAINS use the same site.

Now, I have 2 domains using the same HTML site for one of my clients, but as Justyne said, SMF does not support using 2 domains, so the OP would need to just set the 2nd domain to redirect to the first domain.

Kindred

As noted, it works...  sorta...

You set up the forum on one domain (and one domain only) and then use htaccess to redirect/rewrite the second back to the first...

for example
askawitchcommunity.org (primary domain)
askawitchcommunity.net
askawitchcommunity.com

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(ww+\.)?askawitchcommunity\.com
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(ww+\.)?askawitchcommunity\.net
RewriteRule ^(.*) http://www.askawitchcommunity.org/$1 [R=301,L]
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Subforums mod can do this provided both domains are in one hosting. You need to direct both domains to the same SMF folder. Install SMF only once in one of the domain and then install Subforums mod 1.41 (note: do read the support topic as there is some minor correction since SMF 2.0.7/8). Then set the second domain from subforums mod setting page. You will have both domain in one SMF.

You can see anypost.qom.my and simplefaces.gagau.org as the live sample. They using only one SMF installation and Subforums mod. Basically all simplerevamp.qom.my, revamp.qom.my and simplerevamp2.qom.my are all in one SMF installation as the first two I mentioned. But only if that is what you want.

Using htaccess and other mod such as Split Forum mod may also work as suggested but IMO Subforums mod have its own advantages.

-Captain Ghost-

Thanks everyone for their precious time&support
Once i get into it i will reply.

Arantor

Redirects are the best approach to this so they don't end up splitting your ranking between the domains.

Kindred

exactly...   

becasue - as far as google is concerned, mysite.net is a different site form mysite.com
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: