News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Ban user from a thread?

Started by khigh, August 22, 2014, 01:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Sorry, but I did say, I don't know and never tested this mod. I just read this and thought it "may" serve the purpose somehow:
QuoteAllows users with permissions to mark topics as private and invite people to it, the mod also has a permission to see all topics marked as private without the need to be invited.

The way I understand this IMO it seems to be able to do what the OP wants. All members that are given permission could see all topics though they are marked as private. Those who are not given permission, should not.

Well, I read differently and never tested this. Most probably I am wrong.

Arantor

Except that would, by definition, require giving pretty much everyone the ability to see private topics, not to mention a significant and non-trivial performance penalty for everyone for something that *really* should not be handled that way.

We're talking about an edge case user, major rule of programming is to not build for edge cases first.

The correct way is not to create a situation that requires making *everyone* an exception to the default to deal with this. IOW the proper course of action is to actually build a mod for this rather than trying to co-opt something utterly not designed for the job into doing it.

Lols. I know that would never happen. Creating a specific mod that is. Unless, you yourself already intented to do it. ;)

Arantor

I already had the intention much earlier in this thread, but I want to finish the one I'm currently working on first, because if I let myself get sidetracked with all the little (probably free) mods I'd like to do, the ones that are worth charging money for won't get done.

I don't see this as a hugely complex mod, personally. I can envisage it being done in an afternoon even with what I have in mind for it, which is a simple 'read only' affair for a given topic; actually barring them from a topic for everywhere a topic could possibly be seen is a huge endeavour and isn't actually likely to solve the problem to any significant degree, IMO.

I have no doubt in your skills. I hope to see it in the future. I hope this is a good news for OP and those who need it. Cheers.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Well I'll install it if you do it :)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

khigh

Thanks all, for the replies.

I'll go ahead and mark it as solved. Fortunately the thread she's been crapping in this time is winding down, and I've set up the post moderation thing as a stop gap in the meantime, but it looks like I've sparked some interest, which I'm happy about, and I'll keep my eye out for next time it comes up.

Thanks again!

Advertisement: