Ban user from a thread?

Started by khigh, August 22, 2014, 01:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khigh

This one sounds like a pretty specific need, so while my fingers are crossed, I'm not holding my breath. I've not had any luck searching.

Short version: Can you ban members from individual threads? I'm assuming not in the forum software - maybe a mod?

I've got a user who's a good user like 99% of the time - helpful, informative, the works - great user. BUT every once in a while, something flips a switch in a thread and she just craps all over it nonstop for all her waking hours. I can LITERALLY tell when she's sleeping.

In the past I've tempbanned her, and pulled the threads. I've even sent the threads to what's colloquially known as "the basement" for a special user group to continue the discussion. But all of these are suboptimal.

The best thing would just be to say "OK - that's enough of that" on a thread by thread level, allowing discussion to continue and allowing her to sit in the corner for a bit and still participate on the boards in an acceptable manner.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for looking.

Looking

I do not know of a mod that will do this, ha to be custom coding.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: khigh on August 22, 2014, 01:39:10 PM
d she just craps all over it nonstop for all her waking hours. I can LITERALLY tell when she's sleeping.
I assume she is not 100% normal... Do you really want mad users in your forum? Assuming that the answer is yes... It would be really hard to develop such a mod IMHO. Wouldn't it be better to use the built-in warning system? Just put her post-approval until her period is over ;)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

khigh

Thanks for the replies so far. I knew better than to fet my hopes up too much.

I can moderate her posts only?

I'm not seeing that - can you pint me in the right direction? I could toggle that off and on when one of her pet threads is active.

br360

Quote from: khigh on August 22, 2014, 02:40:49 PM

I can moderate her posts only?

I'm not seeing that - can you pint me in the right direction? I could toggle that off and on when one of her pet threads is active.

Go to her profile>>Actions>>Issue a Warning. Then where the Warning level: is, change that to 35%.  That will make it so that every post she submits will not show on the board until you manually approve it.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Wait. Not really br360, despite that path to issue a warning is correct he needs to set the configuration for it from here first --> Forum » Administration Center » Security and Moderation » Moderation there are many settings that need to be configured and that might be really useful :)
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

khigh

OK - Thanks guys, but I have neither of those things.

Under Profile > Actions, I have "Send personal Message", "Ban this user", and "Delete this account".

Under Forum » Administration Center » Security and Moderation, I have "General" and "Anti-Spam"

This is under 2.0.4

Do I need to upgrade?

Arantor

Well, you should upgrade to 2.0.8, but before you can use the warning system, you must enable it from Admin > Configuration > Core Features.

Mstcool

Quote from: Ninja ZX-10RR on August 22, 2014, 02:06:22 PM
d she just craps all over it nonstop for all her waking hours. I can LITERALLY tell when she's sleeping.
I assume she is not 100% normal... Do you really want mad users in your forum? Assuming that the answer is yes... It would be really hard to develop such a mod IMHO. Wouldn't it be better to use the built-in warning system? Just put her post-approval until her period is over ;)

Oh, she can be 100% normal. But she just probably have anger management issues. Which even normal people have. :p

Arantor

Getting back to your original topic, warnings and moderation are all very well but I'm not sure they'd solve the problem. It's worth a try but honestly I could see it being something that might need the original method you outlined; people are not the best as self moderation.

Perhaps I should write that as a mod, there are topics here I would like to get excluded from sometimes ;D

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Mstcool on August 22, 2014, 04:15:00 PM

Oh, she can be 100% normal. But she just probably have anger management issues. Which even normal people have. :p
If you can tell when a person is sleeping or not simply looking at her posts then it's definitely not normal dude ;)

Quote from: ‽ on August 22, 2014, 04:16:19 PM
there are topics here I would like to get excluded from sometimes ;D
I could easily tell you which ones too :P

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Mstcool

Quote from: Ninja ZX-10RR on August 22, 2014, 04:18:48 PM

If you can tell when a person is sleeping or not simply looking at her posts then it's definitely not normal dude ;)

Maybe she works a lot and just gets tired and sleepy. :p

I'm with you on that one. :p

Arantor

Actually, I'd be surprised if you could tell me which topics. Some of them are obvious enough but not the majority of them ;)

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Mstcool on August 22, 2014, 04:20:49 PM
Quote from: Ninja ZX-10RR on August 22, 2014, 04:18:48 PM

Maybe she works a lot and just gets tired and sleepy. :p
And does nothing but posting and rarely getting angry on the same forum? Lol sorry I'd say she doesn't have any social life and that she needs a medic. In fact, my gf just started to be angry because I'm posting to relax a bit... So sorry if I don't reply I'll probably be "busy" like I say in my siggy :P

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

br360

Getting back to your original topic, warnings and moderation are all very well but I'm not sure they'd solve the problem. It's worth a try but honestly I could see it being something that might need the original method you outlined; people are not the best as self moderation.

Perhaps I should write that as a mod, there are topics here I would like to get excluded from sometimes ;D

I like the warnings and moderation system, and think it works well for those members you have had some issues with; but aren't quite ready to ban for one reason or another. The main issue I have with the moderate posts system is that if someone on moderated status posts something ok, the admin reads it and approves it, the member can then go back into the approved post, and edit it to say whatever they want- without having the edited post go back into moderated limbo.

Sure, you always just ban someone if they go back into their post that was approved, and then edits it to say something offensive- but that isn't always caught or reported by the mods or other members in general.

If you would ever consider writing a mod for that... ;)

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: br360 on August 22, 2014, 04:31:50 PM
The main issue I have with the moderate posts system is that if someone on moderated status posts something ok, the admin reads it and approves it, the member can then go back into the approved post, and edit it to say whatever they want- without having the edited post go back into moderated limbo.
Wow, that's crappy I didn't know about this. Is there already a post on GitHub to fix this in 2.1? And what about 2.0.x?

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

It's not really considered a bug, and there are alternative ways to mitigate that, by way of limiting the time in which an edit can be made.

And if they do it again... there's always bans. Not everything has to have a technological solution.

Mstcool

Life is supposed to be hard. :p

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Actually, Suki already made a mod for private topic though somehow this was withdrawn from the mod page. May be you can have a try from her github https://github.com/MissAllSunday/PrivateTopic or find it in her forum http://missallsunday.com/index.php?topic=285.0 though it may not be fully stable or working (I don't know and never try). This mod comes close though may not be what the OP wants.

Arantor

I would argue it's the opposite of what the OP wants; he doesn't want to limit the topic to only a few people, he  wants to limit it *away* from a few people.

Advertisement: