[Paid] Football team selection mod

Started by nsno, August 22, 2014, 02:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsno

I am looking for a mod that will allow registered users to "predict" the starting line-up for a football (soccer) team each week. 

I am will to pay for this mod, up to around $100, and also pay for any upgrades that are needed should new versions of SMF break it!

Version

Description

Users visit a page where they are greeted with a squad list of a football team (configurable by Admin / usergroup) and select 11 of those players to "predict" the starting line up for the coming week's fixture (configurable by admin / usergroup)

They may change their predictions up to 2 hours before the game kicks off. 

Essential logic - position must be specified by admin in order that only one goalkeeper may be selected by users.  Once a player is selected, they can not be picked again for that team.  If a user selects more than x amount of players from one group of positions then the team is rejected and they are asked to submit again.

Admin then enters the correct team in the admin panel once it is announced and players are PM'd stating their accuracy, perhaps giving them a rank (0% to 20% = a certain manager from the past, 90%-100% is current manager's name etc)

it would be great if players were given a link to their predicted line up which could be shared to Facebook / Twitter / Google Plus and also so they could post it to the forum

Permissions

Only registered members should be able to pick teams, admin (or selected usergroup) should be able to edit player names / finalised teams, and guests should be able to see a user's team selection once it is made

Feature Set

How I see this working....

Admin enters player names into a selection of positions....  Goalkeeper - Defender - Midfielder - Forward

Player needs to have a name field, an image field, and a number field

This is for use in ALL fixtures.

Admin then enters fixtures each week.  Fixture has a date, a time, competition name, and a name for the opponent

User then visits page where the squad list is displayed, selects team, and presses submit.

Mod checks that user has not selected more than one goalkeeper or more than admin configured amount of players from one position.

User is presented with a page where his line up is shown, including player images grouped into positions.  This page is unique to that user's prediction for that week and has sharing buttons included.

Predictions close two hours before the time the admin has selected for the game.

Admin then enters confirmed team selection for that game.

User is PM'd with a rating on their accuracy

Then it all starts again for the next fixture!

nsno

Arantor

Honestly, $100 seems a bit low for this. By comparison, I'm currently building a gallery that I'm going to be selling for somewhere in the region of $35 a time... I'm 6 weeks into building it, expecting another 6 weeks on it, just for 1.0 - so that's 12 weeks, effectively full time, on it - and that's still $35 per time, rather than $100 as a relative one-off...

live627

I'd charge several times that amount...

nsno

Quote from: live627 on September 02, 2014, 07:52:06 PM
I'd charge several times that amount...

what if there was already code for the plugin from a different CMS? (e107)

I'm willing to listen to offers on prices

Arantor

You'd still have to completely gut it and start over to integrate with SMF to the point where it'd be quicker to build from scratch.

nsno

anyone fancy building this from scratch then?

took the guy who wrote it for e107 about 4 hours he says....

Arantor

4 hours work would be best part of $300 - even if it actually took only 4 hours, which seems extremely unlikely.

If I knew *exactly* what was desired, it might be close to feasible in that time but the level of detail here is so vague I could build many things that would fit the listed specification and none of them be what you were actually looking for.

As a guide, even minor features take hours to implement properly since things like security and testing feature heavily in competent development. (That gallery I mentioned earlier? I'm still probably 2 weeks away from launch, with literally thousands more lines of code to write - and I've been on it more than 40 hours/week for pretty much its entire development time so far)

nsno

Quote from: Arantor on November 11, 2014, 12:51:44 PM
4 hours work would be best part of $300 - even if it actually took only 4 hours, which seems extremely unlikely.

If I knew *exactly* what was desired, it might be close to feasible in that time but the level of detail here is so vague I could build many things that would fit the listed specification and none of them be what you were actually looking for.

As a guide, even minor features take hours to implement properly since things like security and testing feature heavily in competent development. (That gallery I mentioned earlier? I'm still probably 2 weeks away from launch, with literally thousands more lines of code to write - and I've been on it more than 40 hours/week for pretty much its entire development time so far)

vague?

it's not really a complicated idea to be honest, and the first post in this thread is deliberately as detailed as possible.

Admin side is simple, really, as there are only two configurations to deal with.....option one is the players that are selectable, grouped into four different positions - so, Goalkeeper, Defender, Midfielder, Forward.  Each player needs (as stated in first post) a name field, a number field, an image field, and a selectable position field.

Second option is the fixtures.  Fixture has a date and time field, and an opponent field.  Then has the option to select the correct line-up once fixture date and time has passed (doesn't have to wait for that time to become available, as only admins will see this it makes it easier to be configurable at any time as will only be done after the game anyway)

Users see one main page, which lists fixtures in date order, showing date, time, and opposition.  This list is clickable.

Once clicked, they are taken to individual fixture page, which has a list of players they can select from - which has been entered by admin and shows number, name, position, and image.

They then select one goalkeeper, up to five defenders, up to five midfielders, and up to three forwards - totalling no more than eleven.

They then click submit and are shown their selection.

Once game has passed they can visit that page (or get an email or PM) to see their selection alongside the selection entered by the admin with a "score" (either out of 11 or as a percentage) with how well they predicted.

That's it.

There is a mod for Gravity Forms for Wordpress that can do this if coding for SMF proves more expensive than buying the license and paying for the mod over there, which would come in at less than $500.

Advertisement: